PDA

View Full Version : Is this used barrel good for discus?

tarzan
11-06-2003, 04:59 AM
Hi!

I just got a big barrel from a friend.. it has been used to store light cleaning acids - i only got the word "Chemical 612"

Now, how do i clean this thing? Will it ever be suitable for preparing my water for discus ?

tony1313
11-07-2003, 09:14 AM
Hi Tarzan,
Not sure what 612 is but if it's a cleaning solution it can't be good for discus. I wouldn't risk it. The chemicals stored in the 55gal-container seep into the plastic and could be released into the stored water. Buy a new one or try to find one that was used for food or pop syrup.

hth,
Tony

discuskrib
11-10-2003, 04:38 AM
612 could be anything. companies will often use codes like that simply for easier book keeping. sometimes it will also be to protect secret information about the chemical formulas for their products. try asking your friend if he can get a WHMIS or MSDS label for the chemical.

i'd mix some dirt and water together, scrub the sides with the mud and then wash it out. scrub the sides again with just water, rinse and then fill it up with fresh water and add a few guppies or feeder fish after letting the chlorine evaporate.
Dave