PDA

View Full Version : 29 Gallon

FloridaFishGuy
11-06-2003, 02:54 PM
Is a 29 gallon big enough to hold some discus. My question is how many adults can fit in there, what kind of filtration, and if i need bare bottom or not?

ronrca
11-06-2003, 02:58 PM
Welcome to Simplydiscus!

Is a 29 gallon big enough to hold some discus.
With or with out water? LOL! Im just kidding!

The 'rule of thumbs' are 10G/discus, 4-6discus/tank! Definitely Barebottom! Much easily to keep clean and maintain!

It will really depend on how big the discus are! Temporarily you could get 6 2" with 75% water changes daily+vacuuming! As the discus grow, you will have to upgrade to at least a 60G then unless you only keep a pair in the 29G.

Adult discus! If you have a pair, ok! You can overstock a 29G with 4 adults but many wc's are necessary!

Filteration! Aqua Clears are the best and easiest to maintain plus affordable!

Starting out with discus, I would not recommend getting a tank smaller than 60G! In the long run, you will be much happier that you did! ;)

FloridaFishGuy
11-06-2003, 03:01 PM
If I keeped 3 small discus in the 29 using the 1 dicsus/10 gallon rule would they be too afriad not being in a bigger group?

ronrca
11-06-2003, 03:03 PM
Not a good idea! 1 will be bullied by the other 2, not eat, cower in the corners, turn dark and stressed, not at ease, dis-eased and then diseased! Minimum 4, even better 6!

FloridaFishGuy
11-06-2003, 03:05 PM
How long will it take 6 baby discus in a 29 gallon to out grow it and need to be moved into a 55 gallon?

ronrca
11-06-2003, 03:10 PM
Depends on a couple of factors! The amount of water changes, the quaiity of water, the amount of food, the quality of food! It also depends on the size that you do start with! Ideally, young discus grow an inch a month! So, if you would buy 2" discus, in 2 months you may need to upgrade!