PDA

View Full Version : Bored Discus?

Kevin63
11-11-2003, 03:02 PM
okay, this might be a dumb question, but I was wondering ... Should I have something in my BB tank? I've got 6 juvies in a 55-gal doing just great! I just womder if they need something else in there with them. They do get the priveledge of watching we work on my computer all day, but do they need more? Does anyone put anything in their BB tanks that my new guys might enjoy? Maybe I'm just over-thinking about what they do all day!

EIHAB83
11-11-2003, 03:19 PM
as far as they doing great , you have nothing to worry about ....... I wouldn' t change any thing in thier tank
EIHAB

Kevin63
11-11-2003, 03:27 PM
thanks ... just curious

hey ... its been a couple weeks now and I can tell that 2 out of the 6 are definately growing faster than the others ... should I be doing anything different to help the others catch up? or is that just he way it goes?

Carol_Roberts
11-11-2003, 03:48 PM
Bare tank is all they need.

You can try feeding at two or more areas of the tank, watch to make sure all get a chance to eat. If all have access to the food and are eating their fill then don't worry. I always end up with a couple bigger ones in the tank.

patrick
11-11-2003, 06:14 PM
Kevin, I am glad to hear that your new fish are doing great. If you are concerned that your discus are getting bored, you can throw them a party and invite some of their old friends from my tank. ;D ;D ;D I still have some discus that are available for $15.00 and up.

Thanks again for your business. Sincerely, Patrick

BELLUR
11-12-2003, 02:42 PM
I have seen some bb tanks with simple potted plants, in cool little glass vase like vessels, or just add a few ornaments, thay can all be easily moved around for cleaning/vac etc.. just a thought

Kevin63
11-13-2003, 01:56 PM
thanks for the info all ... Patrick, I have 6 in my 55-gal, don't know if I should sqeeze anymore in there!

question: I'm using a AC300 ... is this enough filtration? I really don't want to toss it for an AC500 ($$$-ya know) ... should I add something else? I've never used anything but a hang on the back style filter and I'm wondering what other options there are

patrick
11-13-2003, 03:58 PM
Under ideal conditions you could add more. I know you only have 6 2.5/3 inch fish. I have kept up to 15 adult discus in a 55gal with WC every 3 to 4 days.

I have a friend who has a 29 gal with gravel and has 5 full grown discus plus neons and a pleco, and has not had any problems. He only changes his water once per week. I've told him that I was surprised how successful he has been and recommended that he could increase the number of WC per week. But if it works for him, then why change.

Let me know.

Sincerely, Patrick

Alan
11-13-2003, 05:55 PM
You're doing good Kevin. Your filter is fine. If the water gets too cloudy then you should do more WC's.

I think you're the one who's bored not your fish :o ::) :P;D ;D ;D

lesley
11-15-2003, 06:14 PM
HI Kevin,

I personally feel that your water should be clear if your filtration is working and your tank is fully cycled. Maybe you might want to consider a hydro sponge type filter as well? I have made up my own filters with a powerhead and a plastic flower pot, inside the tank and with the rim just above the water. Works well, but not pretty!

I have a planted tank, but many do not wish to go that way. You are able to have driftwood with plants on it, which means that you can have something for the discus to potter in and investigate without having to go the planted tank way.

It would be a few months ago, but there were posts here relating to some lovely discus that were in a BB tank with some toys in it. It was probably in the photo gallery.

HTH, Lesley

Kevin63
11-18-2003, 01:10 PM
thanks for all the advice ... I put a couple pots with plastic plants in the tank ... they seem to like poking around and it give them a place to hide while I've got my arm in the tank cleaning ... it looks great .... got a couple more discus from Patrick before he got cleaned out too!

couple funny things I've notice since I started this a month ago

Seems that every time I change the water and clean everything, just after I put everything away, these guys have to "drop thier bombs" on the clean bottom! Just like my darm cats who sit and watch as I clean the box so they can "break it in" within the first 5 minutes!

and when I siphon the water and waste out, I've fish chasing all the chunks as they go up the tube, my hand is surronded! It makes me laugh every time ...

thanks again for the great info!!

John_Nicholson
11-18-2003, 02:38 PM
Sounds like you are doing great. Remember the males will grow faster then the females in most cases so that might explain why 2 of them are out growing the rest.

-john