PDA

View Full Version : help!!!

boydiscus
11-12-2003, 03:27 AM
I have one 3 ft tank now and another one going to be set up soon. I have a canister for my current tank and i want to move that canister to my new tank and i want to keep the good bacteria in the old existing tank, how do i do that? Do i use a sponge for a week or something before removing the canister? and If i move the canister to the new tank would it be good enough to cycle the tank without doing fishless cycle?

Abercrombie6202
11-12-2003, 07:56 AM
Put the spongefilter in the old tank while the canister is in there for a week to two weeks then take it out and put the canister on the new tank, that tnak will go through a quick cycle and both tanks will be fine!

mikezz
11-12-2003, 10:53 AM
Help the 4 Discus I got will not eat know matter what I give them. All they do is sit in the top corner of the tank.
I got them at a LFS the tank had no heat, and I allways wanted to try keeping the Discus. But the price and the know how had scared me away from trying them. I know what I have are not grade A and I Kind of thought I would save them from doom by being in this 10 Gal tank with no heat. I have them in a 55 Gal tank the temp is 84* bear bottom I change the water 30% every day. Still will not eat
but the cory cats are doing well fat that is. what more can I do.

Thanks Mike

The New Man On The Block

Carol_Roberts
11-12-2003, 12:24 PM
Were they eating at the fish store, if yes what were they eating? How long have you had them? Try feeding frozen blood worms or better yet live black worms

Sitting in the top corner may mean a water quality issue or that a tank mate is harassing them. Usually they huddle on the bottom in the back when they are sick

Get some Hex -a-mit (metronidazole). You may need to treat for intestinal flagellates. 400 - 500 mg per 10 gallons everyday for 3-5 days. Temp at 92+ add extrA AIR.

mikezz
11-12-2003, 12:58 PM
Carol.........

The place i got them from 6 days now only had them for 1 day and could not tell me much about them. Only that the man didnt want them. I know that were not taken good care of. I guess you would call them cull fish eye's big not like the ones ive seen on this forum. Just wanted to try and see if I could keep discus to see if I can do it.........

Thanks mike...........I need all the help I can get.

:banghead:

Carol_Roberts
11-12-2003, 03:33 PM
In a clean bare bottom tank raise the temp to 92+ add metro 400 -500 mg either everday or every 8 hours if they look really thin, treat for 3 days. LEave temp up for another week after treatment. Do daily water changes of 50% with *aged 90 degree water.

*aged means the water has been heated and agitated so that the pH matches the tank pH.

ronrca
11-13-2003, 11:19 AM
Very important to make sure the water parameters are tested and are stable! Most important is that your tank is cycled and have 0 ammonia/nitrites!

Carol_Roberts
11-13-2003, 01:05 PM
Good points, Ron.

mikezz
11-14-2003, 01:38 PM
Carol & Ron

Thanks for your help fish are starting to eat and swiming good now will keep doing what you have told me to do. should i still do a 50% water change or cut it back a little?
Even the dark color is starting to fade and I see about 9 bars on each.

Thanks for all the help and will keep useing the info
from this forum this looks like a great place for the basics I need all I can say is WOW :shocked:

ronrca
11-14-2003, 01:44 PM
I would continue with the 50% wc's! How big are the discus?