PDA

View Full Version : Glass lids

bikhu
11-13-2003, 10:33 PM
HI Everybody,
I would like to put a glass top on my 60 gal tank. Unfortunatey I bought it used and I do not know what brand it is so the standard top sold at the LFS for AllGLass aquariums does not fit. I am thinking that if I can get the hinge and handle that is used on the glass lids it should be no problem to purchas a piece of tempered glass to fit the tank perfectly. I saw that someone rigged up a sliding one but in my liomited mechanical understanding I couldn't figure out how it worked without falling and breaking when sliding it. Any suggestions?
THanks...
Peace~
peter

mutfish
11-13-2003, 11:56 PM
Sure, you can buy the plastic lid hinges and handles from places such as http://www.petwarehouse.com/
I make my own lids all the time. Lid glass is not necessarily tempered by the way....

MUT(make it, make do ,or do with out)FISH

Mak
11-15-2003, 04:52 AM
Pete,

A thick bead of silicone works well as a hinge.

Mak

bikhu
11-15-2003, 11:44 AM
Thanks Guys,
I found what I was looking for. BTW... that link now leads to Drs F&S. I guess that they have sold out!
Thanks again.
Peter

Jason
11-16-2003, 12:13 PM
Hi Peter,

I use this stuff from window shops called e channel, its plastic strips used for sliding glass doors on cabinets.

it looks like an "E" and I place in the tank frame running front to back and place glass in the grooves

11-16-2003, 12:35 PM
Here's a picture of what Jason is talking about....the double "E" is used in the center of a longer tank.

Tony

Jason
11-16-2003, 12:53 PM
yep that's the stuff!

thanks Tony :thumbsup:

I like to use that because space is at a premium in the fishroom and I don't have enough room for the hinged type that flip up

bikhu
11-16-2003, 05:17 PM
That looks like a great idea.
Thanks!

Mr. Limpet
11-18-2003, 12:26 PM
I have been looking for that forever. Actually I had forgotten about it since I never could find it. Where can it be purchased. I'm not sure we have Window shops around here. Thanks, Paul.

11-18-2003, 11:12 PM
Ive seen the E channel in hardware stores before but Ive never seen the double E stuff anywhere. I got mine with some used tanks I bought. Easy enough to make it though....Just silicone two E peices back to back.

Tony