PDA

View Full Version : Sump Pump Experience

Haywire
11-17-2003, 11:28 PM
Guys/Gals

I'd appreciate some quick comments.

I'm looking for a pump to drive my tanks, I'm looking at either a mag 1800, dolphin DP-900, aquacave's MD40, lifegard quiet one. I was told by the LFS that the littlegiants make a lot noise, and that is a factor my research overlooked.

Basically I'm looking for honest opinions of what people are using.

Personally I've got a via aqua 3300 and I am sorely disappointed in it's performance.

Denny
11-19-2003, 12:12 AM
I just use a 1/6 hp utility pump. I believe the brand of mine is Wayne and it is rated at 960 gph. it was about 60 bucks and is pretty silent

ronrca
11-19-2003, 10:57 AM
I use Mag pumps and I like them a lot!

Harriett
11-19-2003, 04:07 PM
I've been using a Lifegard Quiet One for my 180g for 18 months and it is the quietist pump I've ever had. I'm totally happy with it.
Harriett

korbi_doc
11-19-2003, 05:00 PM
:bounce2: Interesting, can't find the invoice, but my inline pump for the Lifeguard system on the 90g says "Quiet One" & the name on top is Grundfos. A very quiet efficient pump, have to touch it to be sure its workin, love it. Submersible in the wetdry for the 125g, still have the Supreme Magdrive utility pump model 7, very old, probably over 15 yrs, just has a slight hum you have to be real close to hear, not noticeable, but it's also very old. lol, Dottie ;D

Paulio
11-21-2003, 12:40 AM
Mag Drive :thumbsup:

daninthesand
11-21-2003, 01:20 AM
The lifeguard pumps are built by the grundfos company. They make industrial pumps for things like central heating systems and are designed to run for decades. And as Dottie said, they are absolutely silent. They tend to be a bit on the pricey side but are dead quiet.

I own a few little giant pumps and they are powerful but they are a bit nosiy and put out a fair amount of heat. This is a concern if you are going to run the pump in an enclosed space with no ventilation.

I also have a few MagDrive brand pumps and they are little workhorses that have proven to be very reliable for me.

If you plan to run this pump continuosly for along time, Id try and find a pump that has porcelain drive shaft and thrust washers. They last forever... 10 times longer than those with stainless steel parts. Little giant carries those as does Iwaki and other popular brands.

Utility pumps are ok but you have to be careful because alot of them are oil filled and will be a major problem should the oil ever leak into your tank! :o Surely no professional breeder would EVER consider using such pumps. ;D

Daniel

ronrca
11-21-2003, 10:25 AM
Very good point on the utility pumps! I have also heard that utility pumps can heat up your water. I dont know. Its just what I heard!

RichieE
11-21-2003, 11:03 AM
I use Mag Drives in my pond and fish room. Durable, dependable and quiet. They are said to be economical to use. I really cant say yes or no on that one. Rich

ronrca
11-21-2003, 11:24 AM
Does anyone have any experience with a Quiet One by Pentair Aquatics? Im also looking for a good output pump. Im deciding between a Mag 1800 ($210cdn) or a Quiet One 6000 ($150cdn).

Smokey
11-21-2003, 01:57 PM
Let me know what you deceide on , Ron.

Haywire
11-22-2003, 10:24 AM
Excellent, finally got some responses.

A fellow hobbiest managed to get his hands on a chinese mag drive clone, supposedly a mag 15, for $60 certainly work looking at, if not I guess I'll wait for labour day and get it from Aquarium Services.

Alan
11-23-2003, 03:27 AM
If it's not too late, I'm using 2 Pondmaster 700's rated at... 700 gph each ;D I use it for my 180g tank. They're pretty quiet. I hear the water more than I hear the pumps.

wildthing
11-23-2003, 02:38 PM
check the sump pumps at your local home depot..you may be pleasantly surprised by performance & price.....or you may not be.........
:D

Smokey
11-24-2003, 06:50 AM
Just a few points to consider.

Utility / sump - pumps - they are just that. Short run pumps. Not to be used continiously
AND they do produce a lot of heat. A "lot" of heat.

The magnetic drive pumps work well. Price determines the quality. eg: steel impeller shafts as opposed to ceramic shafts, etc. The ceramic shafts, washers do last forever.

Submergiable pumps are designed to use water as a coolant [ low heat generated to begin with] . Low power draw.

I have a collection of the Little Giants pumps. submergiable and inline. The 4MDQX is a guite, [ as well as a can be expected], high volume output; but pricey. Cermaic washers and shaft. This pump spends most of its time on the shelf. lol...

The "Supreme" style pumps, - [ like mose epoxy incased magnetic drive pumps] are highly efficient, Inexpensive to operate, have a long life, and are safe to use. MPE.

Every pump has a "head height". THE VERTICAL LIFT OF WATER.
This is where the water flow is "ZERO". at a given height.

eg - a pump may be able to pump 300 gph, of water, at 1 inch vertical height.
However, at 40 inches, vertical height, the same pump may only be capabile of pumping 10 gph.
AND at 50 inches - the pump may no longer be capabily of pumping water. ZERO FLOW RATE.

Just a few points to consider.

limige
11-25-2003, 04:45 AM
i'm using some mag drives and they work great! they are found very reasonable on ebay these days, lfs charge way too much for them! others like pondmaster are good as well!

i do have a $30 1/4 hp utility pump i'm using to flush out 14 breeder tanks, it's bulky but the price was right.

take head height into consideration big time when buying the correct size pump. figure out how many gallons you want to pump in what amount of time and how high is the top of your tanks, then find the appropiate pump.

Smokey
11-25-2003, 04:57 AM
limige; I could not have said better
Thank you. lol...

A "pump" is the next step in the endless fish fanatic cycle.

Go for the best you can afford to purchase. High output [ gph] at the best head height [ vertical height].
inium 8 feet.

Remember - the line also causes resistance.
Never choke a live horse - as the saying goes.!!

A "GOOD" pump will pay for itself in a very short time.

P.S. - do not skimp on the output hose, either. Good quality, 1/2 - 3/4 inch i.d.

Smokey

Haywire
11-27-2003, 09:36 AM
Thanks Smokey,

I'm quite familiar with pump curves, I did munipal design in 2nd year engineering for subdivisions (big pumps).

Yeah, I also made a mistake with a central manifold to turn off feed to a tank, silly me I basically added about a 100' of piping!!! New pump will go on new supply racks. 3/4" PVC

Smokey
11-27-2003, 12:01 PM
Yes, Everything has an operating "curve".

And, we have a learning curve. LOL.

Pushing water around is not as easy as one might think. Or would like to think.

I remember my first expierence using a "sump pump". One of those compact style: - 1/3 horsepower, 1.5 inch outlet, 1500gph output, totally submeragible.
I placed the pump into a 130 gallon tank, turned it on - and washed the ceiling... LOL..
WEll after a few modifications; stronger hoses and clamps, It was working. Lots of water turnover, great pressure.

I was pretty proud of my accomplishment.

Little did I realize the amount of heat the pump generated. The tanks water temperature rose from 72 degrees F. to 103 degrees F.; in a matter of a couple of hours.
AND - the operating cost - figured it out to be around $65.00 per month. ...... so much for "BIGGER IS BETTER".
AND the instruction/warrenty stated - "NOT FOR CONTINIOUS USE". Basically the pump was desighed to run for 10 minutes out of every hour. lol...ahhh...nuts. Another great idea down the drain!!!!

My learning curve just increased.

Smokey

Haywire
11-29-2003, 01:08 AM
Ouch!

Yeah I just checked the pump I'm using now, it's a 95 watt unit, not very nice compared to the new pump I have on order.

Has anyone seen this rainbow pump I think it's new? In the LFS I've seen the old ones, white pump motor and blue impeller housing not submersible. The new one I'm getting is all blue and appears to be submersible.