PDA

View Full Version : Can blue diamond and red turquoise breed?

bigbass
11-19-2003, 06:28 PM
I'm new to discus keeping and I know this is a basic question, but what the heck. Can discus varieties interbreed? Particularly can blue diamond and red turquoise varieties breed. Thanks?

bikhu
11-19-2003, 07:00 PM
Yup.. they sure con. In fact all the domestic strains that e know today are the result of cross breeding. See the posting by Creative Discus under General Discussion.... They very nicely outline the dominant vs recessive traits...
By the way welcome to the forum. All questions are valid. That's how we learn. Believe me .. I am the king of dumb questions!!!!
Peace-
peter

Abercrombie6202
11-19-2003, 07:01 PM
yeah they can breed! As long as an animal has the same amount of chromosomes as another animal then those two animals can breed. For example a bald eagle had 32 chromosomes and a tiger had 32 chromosomes then if there two sex cells joined it would equal into an embryo etc... But since a bald eagle and a tiger don't have the same chromosomes, no they can't breed, but all discus can breed with other discus matter the species because they all have the same amount of chromosomes! Do you understand? lol