PDA

View Full Version : What filter?

rdeis
11-19-2003, 10:05 PM
Hello all. I've kept discus before, but on a relatively small scale. (2 individuals, 15 gallon tank)

My wife and I are starting on a more ambitious project: An 80 gallon planted show tank.

The tank is rather tall, very similar to the tenecor 70 gallon pentagonal corner tank. We plan to have 6 discus, a siamensis or two, and a small school of cardinals.

My question is, what should we use for filtration? One of my local shops has suggested that something along the lines of a Fluval 404 canister would be adequate, but that for more money a wet/dry with an overflow box would be even better.

I don't know enough about more advanced setups to weigh the pros and cons of these (or other systems) Help?

jeff cannons
11-20-2003, 02:38 PM
Hi Rdeis I would go along the lines of a canister filter but my opinion on the fluvals is that there a good pump but theres no way of reducing the flow rate on the newer models , I would opt for a Eheim canister myself its what I now use , I used too have the old style fluvals but since having eheim I wouldnt go back JMO

daninthesand
11-20-2003, 03:19 PM
Hi Rdeis.

I have used a few types of canister filters and I find eventually they become leaky, and generally are a pain to clean. I do use a Magnum 350 which i find the easiest and most reliable so far.

In your project, I assume you want it to look great and be efficient for maintenance. I would suggest a trickle (wet/dry) filter if you have a place you can hide it away. They are generally bulky and somewhat unsightly but you can't beat them for their effectiveness and ease of use. And i always found the water to be crystal clear. You can also hide the heater(s) in there. You might want to drill the tank for an overflow instead of a box type. Again just for aesthetics.

There is tons of info about wet/drys on this forum and elsewhere on the net for their construction and I have a built several over the years. I am not currently running any now but I am planning a new tank rack soon and I think I'll go with a central trickle filter for this one.

Of course you cant beat sponge filters for their ease of use, but in a display tank they are kinda ugly. Ok for breeders and growouts but I find them distracting in a nice display tank.

Daniel

rdeis
11-21-2003, 11:20 AM
That's the way the LFS is set up here, and their tanks are pristine- says a lot for the wet/dry system to me.

Also, since my tank is so tall, (like this: http://www.tenecor.com/images3/pentagonreef.gif, but 30: high and 12" sides instead of 7") there isn't much surface area on the top and I was a little concerned about getting enough aeration with the canister. OTOH, maybe that matters less with plants?

Anyhow- the LFS reccomended a local guy that will build a wet/dry to the capacity I need in a shape that fits in the stand for a reasonable price. Very cool.

*WONDERFUL* beginners guides, by the way- I'm reading up everything I can find on planted tanks.

RAWesolowski
11-25-2003, 12:34 PM
I like the Eheim 2100 series because you can adjust flow rates. Aquaclear for hang on the bank but wet/dry is the way to go!