PDA

View Full Version : Pictures Of Finished Tank Stands

Murphy
11-20-2003, 04:54 PM
Hi everyone!, here are some photo's of the stands I have just finished. They have been built to hold four one hundred gallon tanks stacked two high. I attached them to the house joists to avoid any lateral movement.

Murphy
11-20-2003, 04:55 PM

ronrca
11-21-2003, 12:42 PM
Looks good! Thanks for the pics!

What I did with my rack system is put another 2x4 in the center also which then would make it 3 2x4's instead of only 2! Then, put some 3x4 plywood on top of the 2x4's to further increase the support! You should not have much sag then! However, if you are using one tank for the entire lenght, sagging may not be an issue. However, perhaps in the future you put 2 or 3 tanks on 1 shelf, then you will have sag problems! ;)

Id also recommend putting in a cross piece in the middle of the shelf to prevent the 2x4 from twisting

Murphy
11-21-2003, 01:44 PM
Thanks Roncra!, the upper shelf has an additional 2x4 in the middle running the entire length of the stand. I'm also planning to put 3/4" plywood on each shelf topped off with 1" of styrofoam for the tanks to sit on

Smokey
11-21-2003, 01:53 PM
Peter, good choice. The plywood for the shelf and them the 1" styro. Looks like it will be very strong.

4 - 100 gallon tanks is a nice start. What will be next on your list. lol.

Smokey

Murphy
11-21-2003, 02:59 PM
Next on my list?....Discus! Discus! Discus! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Murphy
11-21-2003, 03:19 PM
Lighting now going in!

ronrca
11-21-2003, 04:08 PM
:thumbsup:

Couple more thoughts!
First, move the stand (if you can) around 18-24" from the wall! This will give you much more access to the back for your piping, filters, etc! Much easier to work when the space isnt really tight! (Im talking from experience here also! LOL)

Second,
Not sure what you are going to do with the lighting but put them all on 1 switch or timer and only have the lights on when your in the room! The light in the room leave on all the time! Why? Algae growth! Again, talking from experience. If you look at my rack system, I also have lighting on top of my tanks. Algae growth was totally a nuisance and a pain in the arse. Now, I just leave the room light on 24/7 and hardly to no algae growth! Only if I want to view them do I put on the light on top of the tanks! ;)

That fluorescent the I see the tip of, I would rotate it 90 and forget about the lights on top of the tanks (unless for viewing a couple hours during the day).

Murphy
11-21-2003, 06:13 PM
Hi Roncra, I plan to have all the lights on timers and figured I would adjust the length of time "on" depending on the amount of algea growth. Of course my ultimate goal is to have everything fully automated. (no more bucket brigade for me ha! ha!) I plan to post as many photo's as possible during construction of the fishroom, to get other peoples input (suggestions) and hopefully to help someone else who may be thinking of building one.
Stay tuned!

Smokey
11-25-2003, 01:24 PM
Very nice. Keep the pics coming, Murphy.
Every one can learn from others work and expierence.
I am also in the middle of laying out a new discus room. Every new bit of information adds to the thinking process. A NEW idea is always welcome.

Smokey

Dave C
11-25-2003, 01:41 PM
I'd check the building code in your area. It looks like you will be covering up the window in the basement. If an inspector comes in there you might have to move everything. Or you could just move the stands away from the wall, as ron suggested.

Murphy
11-25-2003, 02:06 PM
Hi Dave, the window wont be covered up as I plan to put in an exhaust fan to reduce the humidity in the fishroom ;D

11-25-2003, 02:45 PM
Murphy: That's the way a professional will build their stands. Very sturdy construction and maximum support with minimum of nails and wood. I prefer using 2x4 between tanks. 4x4 on 3 tiers system of tanks over 50 gals. Very informative and keep up the good work.
jimmy.

Murphy
11-25-2003, 04:46 PM
Thanks Jimmy, I'm taking my time as I want to do it right the first time. Although I'm sure there will be something that I'll have to redo. I've already re designed my electrical plan three times. I'm hoping to be ready to stock my tanks in January

Terry
11-27-2003, 06:14 AM
I would seal that pine with a esdapol or some thing all those's water changes in time raw pine will rott.
Looks great well done.
Terry. :) ;D :)

jim_shedden
11-28-2003, 04:43 PM
Very nice Murphy

jim

Murphy
11-30-2003, 05:38 PM
Thanks Jim , I just blew another $180 at Home Depot yesterday on all my electrical stuff. :o

12-02-2003, 12:42 PM
Murphy: A question for you. I see your side supports extended to the ceiling brace. Besides blocking the view of the window which the government property tax inspector use to check if your have fininished basement and charge you more for your property tax. They may want you to remove it so that they can spy on you. How do you adjust or level your tank after you have filled with water? You simply cannot adjust it if you have nailed the whole frame to the ceiling.

Jimmy.

Murphy
12-02-2003, 06:52 PM
Hi Jimmy, that window is around the side of the house and if you bend down you can still see right in over the tanks. Leveling you say?.....Hmmmm!!!! I've never had to do that after I fill a tank. I usually make sure that the stands (wood or metal) are completely level first. Then the tanks are placed on an inch of plywood then at least an inch of styrofoam. Gravity and the "give" of the styrofoam usually level out any slight differences.

12-04-2003, 11:01 AM
Weight will shift after water is in the tanks. A final adjustment is necessary to level the tanks. It's best to leave the ceiling attachment the last. I'm not comfortable having the weight of all tanks supported by the main floor. Leave a space to fit your car jack into the frame to adjust the level without draining the water. After everything is level and adjusted. Then you can attach to the ceiling to secure the system. A local fish store had the ceiling beams broken after the water was in. Just something to consider. HTH
Jimmy.

Murphy
12-04-2003, 01:02 PM
Hi Jimmy, "a local fish store had the cieling beams broken after the water was in". Wow!.....you've got me thinking now! Maybe I'll try it your way and take the screws out then the fill the tanks and level before I attach to the joists.
Thanks for the help!.......Peter