PDA

View Full Version : How to sneak a 125 gallon tank into the family room without anybody noticing.

Mr. Limpet
11-21-2003, 04:56 PM
First you have to distract your wife. Appeal to her artistic side and get her to paint the tank.

Mr. Limpet
11-21-2003, 04:58 PM
Next, make a huge mess in the family room for 2 weeks while you build the stand.

Mr. Limpet
11-21-2003, 05:01 PM
Then get her to help stain it. I'm still working on this one. I will take pictures this weekend and follow up. It has to be done and in place by wednesday, including cleaning the carpet. Paul.

ronrca
11-21-2003, 06:00 PM
LOL! Sneak into the familyroom? What did you tell her? Its just temporary or something? LOL! O, Im sorry my dear! I guess I shouldnt of filled it with water. Its too heavy to move now! Not much we can do now but put fish in! ;D

Mr. Limpet
11-22-2003, 01:44 AM
Diversions! It is still raining outside, I can't work on it there. Any way, I figure that she will be so happy that the mess is cleaned up, she won't notice. I had to move a smaller stand out that had a 50 gallon under the TV so that she could redo the room and paint. How much bigger can this one be???n And.. That small stand won't hold the 36 inch flat screen TV that she wants to watch football with, so this is really for her!
It is actually a lot bigger than I envisioned. Made greeat progress tonight and got the top done, so it doesn't look like a garage rack. More later. Good Night! Paul.

P. S. Married 21 years and worked for a Fish wholesaler when we met. I think she might have this figured out.

Smokey
11-25-2003, 05:18 AM
is she still "wet: behind the ears.?? OR just wet to the elbows.

Great design. Very strong. Love your background. Nice art work.

susankay1
11-25-2003, 07:55 AM
Give her a fistfull of cash or credit cards and send her off Christmas shopping....works with me every time!!!!!!!!!

Mr. Limpet
11-25-2003, 12:42 PM
Well. it is in place.

Mr. Limpet
11-25-2003, 12:47 PM
I tried to make it as small as posssible, but it is bigger than I had envisioned. I will have to wait until after Thanksgiving to fill it, but here is a closer look with it backlit. I still need to work out the lighting and I will close it in from the top of the tank to the bottom of the top section.
Susan, yeah, I know this one is going to cost me. But, I think it will be worth it. Paul.

jeep
11-25-2003, 12:58 PM
Nice job!

I especially like the back-lighting...

Brian

Smokey
11-25-2003, 01:08 PM
Paul; correct me if I am wrong, but the top shelf looks like a very inviting place for a 160 gallon tank.[?]. lol

Besides a flat screen t.v. would only contrast with the 125's background.
Great job.

Smokey

ronrca
11-25-2003, 02:06 PM
Sweet! Nice, very nice! Hurry! Fill it with water and discus! How can you have such a nice tank EMPTY? :o

LOL!
Thanks for the update!

Tristanyyz
11-29-2003, 03:19 PM
NO NO NO thats all wrong...

You should have used a bigger tank, so you have an excuse to buy a 70" flat screen.... :P :-\

Tristanyyz
11-29-2003, 03:21 PM
I like it alot actually excellent idea!...very nice design, turned out just great

Mr. Limpet
11-29-2003, 03:47 PM
Trystanyyz,
If I went any bigger on either, I would have to blow out the ceiling to fit it.
i was a little worried about the height of the TV and viewing, but so far so good. I'm going to fill it with water today and see what happens. The stand tweaked a little when I bolted the top part on and I am hoping that the weight of the water will settle it in. Otherwise, I will have to figure something out to deal with that. Thanks for the comments, Paul.

ping
11-29-2003, 05:19 PM
Wow .. very nice... beautiful tank :)

Regards,
Ronny

Tad
11-29-2003, 08:18 PM
Now who said that you cant raise discus successfully and watch TV at the same time ;D

I like it a lot! :thumbsup: and cant wait to see it filled with discus ;)

Regards,
Tad

11-30-2003, 03:40 AM
Paul....

It would be funny if wive says: "hon, we can fit a 60-inch Plasma TV above the tank to complete the look."

I think this would most definitely work for me. Except I'd rather have a few complete hi-tech Bose systems around the house!!! ;D

Gorgeous backdrop. Great job. Keep us posted when you fill it up with Discus. **Angie**