PDA

View Full Version : What type of driftwood to use?

snakebaby
11-21-2003, 05:42 PM
Hello.
I'm very interested in setting up a 75 gallon modified biotype (modified to include plants from the same region) aquarium with the primary residents being discus.
I have read people referring to bogwood. I'm not familiar with this term. Can someone explain it to me?
Also, I live in an area near the Great Lakes. On occasion, I see pieces of driftwood collected from Lake Superior for sale in my town. Is there any way to make this safe for the aquarium? Any insight would be appreciated.

Tim

ronrca
11-21-2003, 05:54 PM
I believe bogwood is a type of wood but Im not 100% sure!

About making driftwood safe I can answer as I find wood everywhere and put in my tank! ;D

First you will want to really scrubbed the wood, cleaning it from any crap on it plus any loose pieces. Usually the bathtub works great for that or outside depending where you live. Next you will want to make sure it fits into your tank so you need to cut/trim anything off. Then into the oven it goes to kill anything and everything inside the wood. After that I boil my driftwood for get rid of any bugs and whatever else lives in there again making sure every section has been boiled. Also helps getting the tanins out so your tank doesnt turn dark brown! Then once the driftwood cools down, I scrub again and place in the tank! ;) Thats it!

A word of caution! Driftwood may lower your ph and hardness!

ChloroPhil
11-21-2003, 09:12 PM
I would be leery of any wood collected from the Great Lakes. There's so much pollution that could possibly leech into the wood you need to be very careful. Like Ron said, boil the hell out of it first.

RAWesolowski
11-25-2003, 12:29 PM
Sanke,

Look for mopqani or wellaby wood. I believe both are imported from Africa. Both are very heavy and will sink immediately in your tank.