PDA

View Full Version : How many have Pleco's...

jeep
11-21-2003, 07:56 PM
...in with your discus?

Are there any recommended types of Pleco's, some that may be more/less aggressive towards discus?

Is your QT proceedure the same as for any other fish introduced? Are there any special risks involved?

I especially like the uglier ones the best...

Brian

Abercrombie6202
11-21-2003, 09:14 PM
I've noticed Bristlenose pleco's should be fine!! They go by the anem Bushynose, Bristlenose, etc... i've seen them in msot LFS. They wn't botehr your discus and yes follow the same QT procdure with any fish, plant, object, decoration because anything can be a carrier of a disease!

crazy4discus
11-21-2003, 10:20 PM
i use the normal pleco's for my tank they do well

Mykiss
11-22-2003, 12:25 AM
I use the regular pet store ones, I think they are sailfins or those tall fin plecos. Those cheap ones. All I do is make sure I add in the small ones. They seem to work harder in cleaning algae and do less damage if they try to harass the discus. However, I do not keep the plecos with the discus full time. I take them out when the glass are clean. Generally I do not trust the plecos with the discus unless of cource the tank is really big!
good luck
pt

Haywire
11-27-2003, 09:29 AM
I keep albino bristlenose with my discus, I've got a nice colony of albino's getting near breeding size :) (same with my discus)

I also keep a royal pleco, I think mine is a dwarf variety (there's so many similar ones nowadays) gorgeous grey-green and black stripes and red eyes like my discus.

I've been looking for gold nuggets as these are also said to be compatible with discus, same with a mango pleco. I saw a mango recently at the LFS, I'm a cheap SOB, and I'll refuse to pay $75 for a pleco that will spend most of it's time hiding from sight.

I have had bad experiences with sailfin pleco's they hog the food, I've seen one erect all finnage and cover the food that the discus missed on the way down. I've also had one recently take a chunk out of the side of one of my yellows, didn't see the act, but the wound size, and the mouth size match. You remember the OJ trial "If the glove fits..."

jules
11-27-2003, 11:33 AM
My 6" sailfin has been in the 55 gallon since it was a baby and hasn't caused any problems. I feed him pellets.

henryD
11-27-2003, 12:20 PM
I picked up some Gold spotted plecos from Paulio. They are great. Never had a problem with them with discus. They also seem to tolerate the high temperature and low ph. In fact I now have 1 in every tank doing clean up. Will have to get some pictures because these things are beautiful. A type I have never seen in any pet store.

A must have if you tend to overfeed a little like I do. They also help keep the glass slime free....

Henry

jeep
11-27-2003, 12:54 PM
Thanks for the replies...

Yes, I'm guilty of over feeding, which leads to planaria, which is my main reason to ask about pleco's.

I'll be keeping my eyes open for something unique...

Brian

April
11-27-2003, 07:25 PM
the sailfins are better when their smaller. if they do get the taste for discus slime coat or get hungry they wiill start. guess it depends how well fed they are. or you trade them in when they get too big.
i think they should be cleaned out first of parasites etc before adding them to discus.
for that reason im waiting on Jason to send me some already cleaned ones.!! the lazy mans way. lol. hes sending me some bushy noses!!
then i think i will also convince jeff to send me some already cleaned up catfish !!!
of course.someone could post on how to clean and make sure their safe to add to my tank. im just leary of lfs ones carrying a virus or parasites into my tanks.

Galina
11-27-2003, 07:33 PM
Hi, I keep bristlenose and pleco. Bristlenose are peaceful quiet cleaners, pleco does much more work on the walls but tend to suck up to discus to feed on their slime. I made a deal with LFS when my pleco is larger than I like him to be I exchange him for a baby one. All of the cats tend to be lazier with age. Just remember that plecos and ancistrus are vegetarians mostly, that is why I give them some zuccini.