PDA

View Full Version : Aquarium Pharmaceutical Test Kits

Discusrite
11-29-2003, 12:58 AM
Hi, I am wondering if anyone here uses this brand of test kits.
Because I am having some problem with my GH test kit.
It says to count the drop of the test solution until the water turns green. But I don't know how green is green.
Anyone?

Carol_Roberts
11-29-2003, 02:47 AM
I use them. Put a white towel on the counter and look down through the top of the tube. After about 6 drops the color will be strong enough for you to easily see the difference between the orange and green.

If it turns green before 6 drop you have soft water. 6 to 8 drops is good for breeding. Enough minerals for a stable pH yet soft enough for eggs to hatch.

My water takes 12 drops to turn green - good for growing out juveniles, but too hard for eggs to hatch.

Discusrite
12-01-2003, 08:29 AM
Thanks!
Need to clarify a bit more though, does this means that there will only be one shade of orange and one shade of green colour only?
Or will it turn slowly from orange to green?

jules
12-01-2003, 10:04 AM
It gradually changes from orange to green. You will see the orange getting darker and darker and then it will turn a light shade of green - I read the result from that point.

Carol_Roberts
12-01-2003, 12:07 PM
Yes, color will go from a very diluted orange, to more intense, to a greeny orange, to green.

It's harder to see the color change in soft water (less drops). In my well water I have to use 12 drops, so there is plenty of reagent in the water and I can clearly see the change.

Discusrite
12-01-2003, 12:32 PM
I think my water take 3 drops before it turns green. Very soft water?
But the pH is high though, 7.4

Thanks everyone.