PDA

View Full Version : cleaning sticker glue off acrylic

Steve_Warner
11-30-2003, 07:10 PM
Hi all,
I asked this question a few months ago, but can't find the thread. Can someone please tell me how to get the sticky glue backing from a sticker off an acrylic tank front. I have tried the warm water and soap method and I'm going nuts. Why do LFS' put stickers on them if the crap is so damn hard to get off. ::)

Steve

allan_mark76
11-30-2003, 07:29 PM
Old rag + vinegar it works for me...

A- ;D

brewmaster15
12-01-2003, 12:22 AM
Brand new razor blade.
-al

Aquatic_Design
12-01-2003, 07:39 AM
WD-40 and a soft rag.
Works great.

Donna :)

slicksta
12-01-2003, 10:25 PM
I know it's to late now....but if you heat the sticker with a blow dryer and peel back slowely the glue comes off with the paper....
I know Gum&Tar Remover (automotive product) works well for the glue, but I'm not to sure how safe it is for acrylic

Steve_Warner
12-01-2003, 11:27 PM
Hi all,
Thanks for all the replies. I tried the vinegar and rag, but it didn't do much, so I went for it and used my wife's non-acetone nail polish remover. That stuff worked like a charm and got it off quickly. I wiped the surface with a water-soaked rag immediately after each swipe and it did the trick. There is no crazing, hazing or any damage to the acrylic. Thanks everybody.

Steve

RAWesolowski
12-02-2003, 03:26 AM
Steve,

Sorry to reply so late. There is a product called "Goof Off". Does a great job on the sticky things. I always have a bottle with all the other bottles under the sink.