PDA

View Full Version : from salt to Discus

Mountain Man
12-06-2003, 12:07 AM
Hi All! ;)
Newbie here in this forum! Have a 90gal Saltwater tank that will be emptied this week !my local dealer will pic my fish and live rocks and then I would like to find out how much of my setup I can keep to go to discus show tank!
I have a Hagen Fluval 404 and a Skimmer on outside of tank .... So what is usufull and what is not ? Bare with me ! im a old mountain fart! ;)so you will see me here regularly like every day *grin*

Carol_Roberts
12-06-2003, 01:10 AM
Discus tanks require hardly any equipment at all. All you need is a good heater and a basic hang on the back filter like an aqua clear 500 or even simply a few airdriven sponge filters. Water changes are the key to healthy, fast growing, brightly colored discus.

I would invest in a 55 gallon water storage barrel, a water pump (like a pond pump) and a hose to make water changes easier.

You'll want the basic test kits for pH, GH, KH, ammonia, nitrIte, nitrAte. These test kits will help you know when your tank is ready for discus and it's important to know what type of water you have.

Other than that have fun reading through the site. There is tons of information and pictures here.

Ardan
12-06-2003, 07:05 AM
Hi and Welcome!
As Carol said

I would invest in a 55 gallon water storage barrel, a water pump (like a pond pump) and a hose to make water changes easier

Be prepared to do lots of water changes, daily 30 to 50% is done by a lot of us.
Whatever you can do to make that easier on you. :)

April
12-07-2003, 12:54 AM
hi and welcome to simplydiscus . :wave: im a canadian also.just kinda on the opposite side and different ocean.
i agree with carol. water change water change and another water change. bare bottom tank...and stable water parameters . stored water makes them happier as no fluctuations.
and when your ready and youve read all through here.....then.find a good breeder who will help you with any questions etc.
one who has nice fish and supplies in canada and on this forum is jason from thunder bay. heres his website. www.superiordiscus.com
if you start with good fish.you will have more success and better results than from a lfs.
i would get them growing well before you turn it into a show tank. or..get adult fish if you want gravel and plants or you wont get the growth.
i know it takes everyone a bit of time to accept or get used to bare bottom and im sure we all figured well a bit of gravel wont hurt...
anyhow read through the posts etc.and hope you fall in love with discus and stick around!!:thumbsup:

dawrtw
02-20-2010, 09:43 AM
I'm new here too. I am converting my 110 gal salt tank to a Discus and Angel tank. I'm starting out with a 46 gal bare bottom tank for my Discus.

I understand the water changes for keeping it clean. I'm not interested in extreme growth or even breeding the Discus. I just want to keep the Angels and Discus in a beautiful well planted tank with gravel or sand on the bottom.

My question is, is this realistic to think I can keep the Discus alive and healthy in a simi community tank with a few angles and tetras?

Jason K.
02-20-2010, 10:32 AM
I'm new here too. I am converting my 110 gal salt tank to a Discus and Angel tank. I'm starting out with a 46 gal bare bottom tank for my Discus.

I understand the water changes for keeping it clean. I'm not interested in extreme growth or even breeding the Discus. I just want to keep the Angels and Discus in a beautiful well planted tank with gravel or sand on the bottom.

My question is, is this realistic to think I can keep the Discus alive and healthy?

of course it is:)
wecome to simply.