PDA

View Full Version : Glass for top

bikhu
12-07-2003, 09:13 AM
Silly question perhaps...
What kind of glass do you reccomend to use as a top for tanks. Looking to simply have glass cut to size. Thickness? Tempered? buff the edges?
Thanks
peter

Jason
12-07-2003, 02:22 PM
Hi Peter,

4mm-6mm

tempering is not nesessary, and you could save alot of$ by smoothing the edges yourself

bikhu
12-08-2003, 09:46 AM
THanks Jason...
How do you do that? Yeah I know... I am no Mr Fix it!

henryD
12-08-2003, 10:11 AM
Peter,

Check with a few local glass places. Most of them don't charge you for smoothing the edges. Some do and some don't. I would definetly recommend it because you will end up cutting yourself one way or the other. Also I would get ones that are at least 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick. The longer the cover the thicker the glass. This way when you are moving things around it does not bend in the middle. Also it is a lot more durable. I started off with the thin ones and found that it breaks off too easily.

ronrca
12-08-2003, 11:07 AM
I have not done this yet but Im planning on is silicon the edges of the glass top! Why? When moving the top around, I find Im sometimes bumping it around and it kind of scares me because what if it would break! :o Just a thought!

Smoothing the edges or sanding the edges is quite easy. All you need is some diamond grit sand paper and a sanding block. Then you sand the edges until it smooth! ;)