PDA

View Full Version : 150 Gal with Live plants

nfinit1
12-11-2003, 01:32 AM
Hello All
I have read the boards and let me say, I feel intimidated with even stepping into the discus world
I have a 150gal,2217 eheim, that I would setup with Eco Complete/Flourite substrate, 4x96 lighting for the live plants.

I was at my LFS today and he even told me aboout how hard it is keeping discus
Ok facts on keeping discus
How often do you do water changes for discus.??
Would it help if I ran a 2 canister filters????
What are some of the major pitfalls of keeping discus with live plants???
I have been away from the hobby for about 8 years and recently saw an orange discus at a LFS. Now I am back

ANy help is appreciated

Thanks

Carol_Roberts
12-11-2003, 02:40 AM
Hi Nifinity:
Discus keeping has changed in the last 8 years. for instance, you don't need to worry about lowering your pH. Discus like stable water and many of us are raising discus in pH 8. Discus do best in a very clean enviornment.

Here's my answers to your questions. . .
How often do you do water changes for discus.?? everyday for juveniles, but you can get by with 3 or 4 times a week for adults
Would it help if I ran a 2 canister filters????nope
What are some of the major pitfalls of keeping discus with live plants??? juveniles don't grow out, you can't treat for disease. Fully grown adults are best for planted tanks.
I have been away from the hobby for about 8 years and recently saw an orange discus at a LFS. Orange discus are pigeon bloods

nfinit1
12-11-2003, 09:55 AM
Thanks SO Much Carol
Whew...water changes every three to four days???? or was that three or four times a week????

I dont know...seems like alot.
Kinda leaning toward a marine or african cichlid tank now

Carol thanks for your answers though, I spent alot of time reading up on BB vx Planted and just the upkeep of discus
I will sit back and decide.....

thanks again

EthanCote.com
12-12-2003, 05:54 PM
Hey don't fret. It is not that bad. Carol is not talking about the entire tank. She is talking about 10-20% WC daily. Which is not that bad, especially if u only have 1 tank to worry about.

Reason for daily WC is that with juveniles you will be feeding them lots which means lots of waste are being produced. And juveniles grow best with cleaner water.

So don't give up.

Cheerio,

Chi.

nfinit1
12-12-2003, 06:06 PM
Well....interesting...
I will have two tanks
RIght now I have a 75 gal with live plants
This tank will be home to ANgels, tetras, rams, corys

THe 150..I would like to do Live plants
Discus....How about once a week water changes???
Does the temp still have to be above 80 degrees??

Congo tetras..better tank mates with angels or discus??

Carol_Roberts
12-12-2003, 06:15 PM
Discus....How about once a week water changes??? nope
Does the temp still have to be above 80 degrees?? yes - 82/84

Congo tetras..better tank mates with angels or discus?? Angels

nfinit1
12-12-2003, 06:28 PM
Hey Carol
I know this is a discus forum, but what kind of africans do you keep???

Carol_Roberts
12-12-2003, 07:52 PM
Frontosa, brichardi, aulonacaras, leulupi, yellow labs and calvus. I have a couple of Rainbows and bristlenose plecos in that 135 too. It is crammed with fish. The Brichardi have babies all the time. I do two 25% water changes per week. . . . less work than the discus. ;)

nfinit1
12-12-2003, 08:02 PM
Carol
Got any pics>>>I would love to see that tank

Awesome!!!!

I see u r a stickler for water changes

Carol_Roberts
12-12-2003, 09:34 PM
This picture is over a year old - everyone is bigger now and there are lots more brichardi

nfinit1
12-12-2003, 10:06 PM
Swwweeeeeet!!!

Hmmmm Really thinking of making the 150 an african cichlid tank now

My 75 gal with live plants is about two months old.....I am enjoying the tank
I may wait and see how my green thumb works with the 75 gal....

Willie
12-13-2003, 11:27 AM
This is a great thread because it illustrates the most important aspect of getting into discus. That is, clearly define your objective.

If your objective is just a spectacular show tank, discus is the wrong fish to use. If your objective is to grow spectacular discus, then barebottom is the way to go. Much of the argument between bb vs planted is really a difference in objectives.

What if your objective is a spectacular show tank with magnificent discus? Well, growout your discus in a bb or buy adults. Then put it in a show tank.

Willie

nfinit1
12-13-2003, 12:26 PM
This is definitely true...I am learning alot!!!!!!

So to raise about 6 to 12 small discus to adult size
What size tank do I need???
Temp should be 82 to 86???
Ph????
ANy need for special lighting???

Thanks

Carol_Roberts
12-13-2003, 12:43 PM
55 gallons tank. (Sell or cull some as they grow, ending with 6 adults in that size tank)
84 degrees
stabilized pH from the tap is fine
No need for special lighting

Willie is exactly right about objectives. My objective is to grow out the biggest, healthiest, brightly colored discus possible. Plants and substrate only get in my way ;D

ChloroPhil
12-14-2003, 06:24 PM
nfinit1,

Plants and Discus go together "naturally". While not often found together in the wild, discus benefit greatly from plants in their aquarium in just about every way.

However, like Carol said, don't try growing juveniles out in a planted tank. It's a million times more frusterating than it's worth. I would HIGHLY recommend buying your juvies and growing them out in the tank they'll be living in bare bottom. Once they get to be the size you want take them out, plant it up, and stick them back in.

If you want more info on planted aquaria check out the Show Tank and Biotope forum.

Best,
Phil