PDA

View Full Version : Bullying!

wildy
12-12-2003, 03:29 PM
Hi , i have a 150 gallon planted tank,with only 4 discus, the problem is 1 of them is hiding all the time and is off his food due to bullying, he is the smallest...the fish are about 3 to 4 inches long..If i buy more fish as im getting some cash for christmas will this help...

RyanH
12-12-2003, 04:04 PM
Your fish will do best in larger groups. I would say 10-12 fish minimum in a tank that big. It also helps if they are about the same size. I know it is expensive to buy that many at once but if you have a large group and then sell off or cull the less desirable individuals as they grow you will be much better off. They also seem to do better when they are all brought in at the same time. When new fish are introduced later, heirarchies and territories have already formed that they do not have a place in, causing them to get roughed up pretty good sometimes.

hth
-Ryan

BurnabyDiscus
12-12-2003, 05:37 PM
Hmmm... I got a 240gal planted tank with 5 discus, does that mean I have to buy another 20 !!!!! ;D

Carol_Roberts
12-12-2003, 06:18 PM
You have to quarantine any new fish before adding them to the tank. IT is true discus juveniles do best in groups of 6 or more. Adults do just fine in female/male pairs. How old are your discus?

jules
12-12-2003, 10:05 PM
Hi Burnaby, Welcome.
:fish:
Do you have a picture of that massive planted tank? Would love to see it.

RyanH
12-13-2003, 03:16 AM
Hmmm... I got a 240gal planted tank with 5 discus, does that mean I have to buy another 20 !!!!! ;D

If your fish are killing each other it does. If not, I'll let you get by with 5. ;)

April
12-13-2003, 04:09 AM
hi burnaby discus!! i live in vancouver.
carols right. you must quarantine them in a separate tank for about 6 weeks then add one of yours and see how it goes. if all fine then add the new ones.
do you have other fish in there as well? non-discus??