PDA

View Full Version : my new tank and the DIY stand

Kagan
12-13-2003, 03:48 PM
Hi everyone,

I have bought a new ~100 gallon tank ;D ;D.. I built the stand on my own and here are the photos..

This is the beginning as you can see :)

Kagan

Kagan
12-13-2003, 03:54 PM
This is another shot. It was very hard to attach the sides on my own. I used some 90 degrees metal things on the first run ans then attached the backside.. For those who will try to build a stand, just call for someone to help :)..

Kagan
12-13-2003, 03:59 PM
ok here is the bottom view. I also put some little plastics under all the legs in case of water. I will also cover the place that I will put the tank with plastic sheet..

Kagan

Kagan
12-13-2003, 04:02 PM
here is the finished photo. I will build a trickle filter for the new tank. It will be put under the tank to the left handside..

Kagan
12-13-2003, 04:08 PM
Here is the inner view. This is the right handside. You can see the 90 degree metal things..

Kagan
12-13-2003, 04:13 PM
Here is the inside left handside.. You can also see the hole for the trickle filter pipe..

Kagan
12-13-2003, 04:23 PM
now I will also paint the tank with politex paint agains water. I am not sure if you have this paint with the same name.. It protects the wood from water, fungus, mold, bacteria and UV....

Mr. Limpet
12-13-2003, 05:51 PM
Nice jog Kagan.
Why did you choose the particle/chipboard instead of regular plywood? HOw much material did you have to buy for that, and what are the overall dimensions?
I don't know much about paint, but I think a good Exterior latex would seal it pretty well. I know that the raw wood will soak up more paint than you think, several coats probably. Keep the pics coming. Paul.

One more question, did you glue also?

Kagan
12-13-2003, 06:17 PM
Hi there,

it is a special type of wood composite (at least this is what they said).. We will see :):)

the dimensions are 125X65(height)X50 (depth).. units are centimeter..

I have paid about 60 dollars for everything.. I did not use glue... I thought to but then it is very expensive, I mean the quality ones..

It writes on the paint that two laters will be enough. The paint is 10 dollars and included in the total.. It is 2.5 liters btw.

Kagan

lauris
12-13-2003, 06:34 PM
Stand looks good. You might find that a coat of stain blocking primer will be a good investment. Its called KILZ around here. A coat of that will seal the wood and provide a better base for the paint than a bottom coat of paint. And, as I have found out, that particle board will leach or bleed out stain for quite a long time. Just some free advice, worth every penny I'm sure.

Kagan
12-13-2003, 06:40 PM
hmmm I will keep that in mind and check for the stain blocking primer.. thanks for the tip :)

Kagan

GulfCoastDiscus
12-13-2003, 11:22 PM
I'm just wondering why you didn't use any 2x4 supports in the inside where it's not seen on the outside.
1 gal. is approx. 8.57 lbs. Your 100gal. tank weights approx. 857 lbs. Particle board weakens when it gets damp. I would suport it with vertically inside. Better safe than sorry.

Dan

Kagan
12-14-2003, 06:10 AM
Hi Dan,

you are right about that. I will get some supports and put them inside, at the places matching the bottom legs..

btw, The whole tank will be about 450-475 kg..

Since I will paint the tank and prevent water to get to the wood (also by plastic sheet, it will not get damp. (at least this is what I hope :) )

Kagan

Mr. Limpet
12-16-2003, 02:07 AM
Dan brings up a very good point. That is one reason that I was asking about glue. Contractors strength exterior glue is cheap, but 2x4's are also. I bet you could have saved money on all of those "L" brackets and just put a 2x4 frame there. Not too late if you haven't gone too far yet. Good Luck, Paul.