PDA

View Full Version : 30 empty tanks with no fish!!!

12-15-2003, 10:09 AM
That's what I have to pay for fishroom renovation. Sold off 95% of the fish. Hoping to keep a few producing breeders. Packed them in one big tank and start dismentling the old system. Just an Aquaclear and a few sponge filters.Thinking that only took me couple of weeks to finish building 2 systems for show tanks and specially controlled breeding tanks for the wild discus. These were all I need as an hobbyist. After the system were done and there were still over 20 tanks left. Garbage collector wanted me to cut them in small pieces and place inside a container. Sealed and label " BROKEN GLASS" before they will pick them up. So Another system was up. Then I realized I needed some fry tanks and grown up tanks. 2 more systems were done. After 2 months with neglect and mini. W/C. All breeders had developed Hex. with Worms. Refusing to eat. I forgot to feed them most of the time anyway. It will take me at least a month to re-condition them into breeding condition. Guess I have to stare at the high tech. fully automatic systems. At least it will live up to my original intention to have a completely maintenance free system without any fish in there.
Jimmy.

jim_shedden
12-15-2003, 10:31 AM
so Jimmy............are you done yet?............... ;D

Discus_KC
12-15-2003, 10:34 AM
Jimmy,

I feel your pain !!!!!!!!

I have some empty ones too !!!!! But not for long !!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Jack

Barb Newell
12-15-2003, 11:39 AM
Jimmy, any pics?

Barb

jim_shedden
12-15-2003, 12:06 PM
barb : I think you need to supply Jimmy with some fish............. ;D

jim

12-15-2003, 12:17 PM
They are being cycled. They will be fully cycled in a week. Just need a few more decorations. All plants, wood and rocks will be in this week and it will be complete this weekend and I'll take some pic. Now the Guppies are having a ball in a 150 gal tanks with no predators to hide from. Angels are spawning like crazy with threesome spawning on a leaf. 2 females and a single male. Fun to watch. They are not affacted by Non-cycled tanks. I've been washing my dirty flters in the new systems to seed the bacteria.
Jimmy.

EthanCote.com
12-15-2003, 01:00 PM
Hey get some fishes soon, so I can stop by and take a look at them. ;D

Looking forward to seeing u this xmas.

Cheerio,

Chi.

12-15-2003, 01:33 PM
Can't get any fish from my friends. They've sold everything including my own fish boarding in their tanks. All bibies were sold to stores for the Christmas rush. The only one available are those still on the parents. I have to wait for another 6 weeks. My friends are selling over a thousand fish a month in Toronto alone. Why there's only a few hobbyist on the board? Where are they? Who had bought all those fish that we sold to the stores. Yet, we can't even form a discus club in Toronto. Big mistery.
Jimmy.

Murphy
12-15-2003, 02:11 PM
Hi Jimmy, I know what your going through. I'm not quite as far ahead as you , but I have just finished all my electrical work in the fishroom and I'm now starting to work on the central filtration system. I think Xmas is going to put me behind schedule but I'm hoping to be ready for Discus by late January. You are right about the Discus in Toronto. Everybody says that there is lots around but where?, and where is everybody?. With that many Discus enthusiasts around, there should'nt be any trouble forming a club. ???

limige
12-16-2003, 03:04 AM
HI jimmy, i feel you too, although i'm not setting up as extensive as you i am in the process of getting things together as i can and cutting down the fish i have to focus on the breeders.

it's alot of work and takes alot of time and money, in the long run it'll be worth it!

please share what you've setup for you wilds, i'm quite interested! and you know we love pics! ;D

have fun!
mike

Tristanyyz
12-16-2003, 11:52 AM
What happened to your curipera and novo olinda? and your rio semaj???

Did you sell those fish? Why didnt you tell me??? You know I am hungry for wilds! I am getting two excellent Curipera from Oliver this week, and had to wait until December for them!!!! I have been waiting patiently all summer for the correct season. All along you were selling your fish to LFS???
M

12-16-2003, 01:30 PM
YYZ:I still have the wilds but they are on hunger strike. Not eating except CBW. We are at stalemate and see who will win. BH vs CBW. See who will hurt the most. My pocket book or their lives. Otherwise they are healthy except not very meaty. I board my fish to other people's tank and somehow most of them were picked up by their buyers by mistake and gone. Simply disappear. Now I have nothing to put back to my tank. Most of them went to private collectors rather than LFS.
Jimmy.

Tristanyyz
12-16-2003, 11:22 PM
Ok

As you remember Jimmy I got my first wilds from you.

If you have more for sale I am always interested!
M