PDA

View Full Version : Driftwood

Discusrite
12-15-2003, 10:58 AM
I currently have a piece of driftwood in my BB tank.
Problem is, most of my discus are hiding in it. I was told by someone (a few sources actually) that giving them a place to hide will encourage them to hide.
My personal opinion was that if they wanted to hide, let them hide and not force them out to the open. Think that that would stress them out.

What do the people here think?

Murphy
12-15-2003, 02:00 PM
Given the option to hide, your Discus will take refuge behind a rock or driftwood. It gives them a sense of security. (natural instinct) But Discus will eventually come around once they feel safe and secure, and will rush up to the front of the glass to meet you whenever you walk into the room. Give them some time to adjust.!

Desertdrifter
12-15-2003, 09:26 PM
HI: I have two tanks with discus one with lots of drift 150 gal. one 55 gal with nothing but a heater and filter. the fish in the 55 are much less shy when it comes to comotion around the tank. the fish in my big tank strut around alot after my kids go to bed or are sitting still witch almost never hapens, it is in my family room. I like the looks of the driftwood and I think it makes my tank look natural so for me its a good trade and the fish still come out to eat under any circumstance.they must think its worth the risk

ChloroPhil
12-16-2003, 10:36 AM
I think it's just a matter of time. I've got a ton of wood in my display tank with plenty of hiding space and the fish are out and about all day. The only time I've seen them under the wood (lately) is when they're sleeping.

Given a place to hide they will until they get used to the environment. After that they'll be more outgoing knowing they have a place to go if they feel the need.

lesley
12-17-2003, 03:06 AM
I find the same as Phil. Have driftwood, plants and my fish almost never hide, just go there to "sleep" at night.

Once they get used to you giving them things they like, you won't be able to walk past the tank without being pestered!!

Lesley

GulfCoastDiscus
12-17-2003, 11:36 AM
With domestics, If they are healthy they should come out to greet you. Wilds on the other hand tends to hide unless there's food.

Dan