PDA

View Full Version : 2" discus...... Full colour???

Kevin11d
12-15-2003, 03:02 PM
I know discus doesn't developed their full color pattern when they are only 2-3". But today, i went to the LFS and saw a couple of discus had FULL color pattern like an adult and it's VERY colourful.

1) Is this normal?
3) Are they hormoned or stunted?
2) Should I buy the one's that are developing (less pattern and less colourful) or the one's that are very colourful like an adult?

Thanks for reading and i hope you will answer my question.

Kevin
:)

Ryan
12-15-2003, 03:07 PM
What type of discus were they? Spotted ones, pigeon bloods, etc.?

I guess it could be a couple things. The fish could either be stunted, so it colored out but stayed small, or it could be hormoned, as a majority of LFS fish are unfortunately.

Ryan

Kevin11d
12-15-2003, 03:15 PM
They are all 2-3" blood pigeons. Which one will you perfer to buy?

Kevin:)

Kevin11d
12-15-2003, 03:39 PM
I know discus doesn't developed their full color pattern when they are only 2-3". But today, i went to the LFS and saw a couple of discus had FULL color pattern like an adult and it's VERY colourful.

1) Is this normal?
3) Are they hormoned or stunted?
2) Should I buy the one's that are developing (less pattern and less colourful) or the one's that are very colourful like an adult?

Thanks for reading and i hope you will answer my question.
ps. They are blood pigeons

Kevin

jeep
12-15-2003, 03:49 PM
If you have doubt, don't buy them.

There's plenty of reputable breeders here that will guarantee quality...

Brian

henryD
12-15-2003, 04:48 PM
If the fish is too good to be true.

then most likely there is some ruse.

At 2 inches if there is too much color

then I would not even bother...

chinoz
12-15-2003, 04:55 PM
im sure they are hormoned :(

RyanH
12-15-2003, 05:36 PM
I picked up a 2" Red Turq from an lfs two or three years ago before I really knew what to look for. This fish looked like somebody had been feeding it plutonium because it was just about glowing in the dark it was so colorful. After a few months its color faded and it never grew at all. I eventually gave it away. :(

ping
12-15-2003, 05:47 PM
Either stunded or hormoned.
Agree with Brian. If you have doubt, don't buy them. :)

Carol_Roberts
12-15-2003, 06:02 PM
Pigeons begin to color nicely at 4 months. You could be seeing a small 6 month old colorfed pigeonblood.

My advice is to buy from a reputable breeder or local hobbyist.

Kevin11d
12-15-2003, 08:40 PM
I lived in Canada, Toronto, Markham area. I really can't find any reputable breeder or local hobbyist.

Is there any reputable breeder or local hobbyist lived in my area?????? ??? ???

Thanks again!!!

RyanH
12-16-2003, 12:20 AM
Hey Kevin,

Look at the member map at the top of the page. You can click on Canada and check out if there are any member of Simply near you. If you see any pins near where you live, you can click on them and get that members information. Maybe if you send out a few IM's you could snag yourself a new Discus buddy. ;D

good luck!
-Ryan

beta
12-16-2003, 01:28 AM
I picked up a 2" Red Turq from an lfs two or three years ago before I really knew what to look for. This fish looked like somebody had been feeding it plutonium because it was just about glowing in the dark it was so colorful. After a few months its color faded and it never grew at all. I eventually gave it away. :(

Been there before :(

Carol_Roberts
12-16-2003, 02:17 PM
Hi Kevin:
Look in the breeder section - Barb Newell is in your area