PDA

View Full Version : Building Racks

mikebutch
12-15-2003, 07:35 PM
Hi everyone. I bought some Gorilla Rack knock off's and got what I paid for! They are cheap indeed. I am planning on building wood racks now. Do any of you have any plans for something like this. I am a huge visual learner! Thanks in advance.

Mike

limige
12-16-2003, 03:18 AM
http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=19;action=display;threadid=13885;s tart=0

above is the link to my post showing the setup of my fishroom in progress, if you glance through the pics you can get an idea how mine are put together, i used shop grade 3/8 bolts with fender washers to secure the legs to the main tank frame.

the tank frame is done seperately, each level, wood screws and gorilla glue. the glue does most of the holding and gorilla glue is some of the best stuff on the market, trust me.

i didn't glue the legs to the tank racks so i can dissassemble it in the future and get it out of my basement. although each leg has a small peice of 2x4 screwed and glued to it. the main rack sits on the 2x4 support and gets the hole drilled through for the 3/8 bolt.

seems to work good for me, no troubles so far, i'd suggest the hockey pucks on the floor to stop the legs from ever sitting in water.

jeep
12-16-2003, 10:20 AM
MIke, That's very similar to the one I just built for 4 - 55g tanks. I used 3" deck screws instead of bolts just for the ease of construction. You'd be surprised at how strong those deck screws are...

The plan is really simple. Build a supporting frame that is approx. 1 1/2" larger than the frame of the tank. Determine how high you want it (mine is 42" to the top), attach the legs and then attach the lower rack, which is a duplicate of the upper rack.

It's not pretty, but the price was right at $15 and it took less than an hour to build.

I wouldn't know how to post a picture even if I could draw, but I'd be happy to email a copy in excel if interested...

Brian

ronrca
12-16-2003, 11:20 AM
Along with limige, you can look at my mini rack system. I also just used deck screws. I also have a drawing with dimensions and material cutting list if you want!

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=19;action=display;threadid=9428

In any event, this will give you an idea! Before actually starting to build a rack, first draw it out on paper/computer to scale. You will be surprised how once you change your mind! ;)

Rob
12-16-2003, 09:50 PM
Here is a plan for something I did.
A top row for breeders and two layers for growouts.

following is a couple more of the wood measurements and wood cuts and a picture of the rack in use.

I also used deck screws and my trusty Makita.

Rob
12-16-2003, 09:51 PM
Wood measurements

Rob
12-16-2003, 09:51 PM
Wood cuts layed out on boards

Rob
12-16-2003, 09:54 PM
And the finished rack

Smokey
12-22-2003, 06:01 PM
Great design, Rob;
Seems you but a lot of thought into the layout.
Simply, strong, efficient ... and it works.

Smokey
A tank rack does not have to be complicated. Just strong and secure.