PDA

View Full Version : Aponogeton Ulvaceus- Anyone have success with it?

jules
12-22-2003, 11:44 AM
I saw the nicest Aponogeton Ulvaceus in a Discus tank at the LFS, it had grown quite large and was very light green in colour. Has anyone had success with it in their tank? What colouring has it taken on? thx

Brian-pdx
12-22-2003, 02:34 PM
I got one when I first planted and it has done great. It's central in the tank, so gets lots of light. The coloration has always been a lighter, brighter green than most other plants I have (I add Flourish and Flourish Iron, substrate flourite/gravel mix). The leaves tend to get ratty, so I will trim them off as they go. Mine has been throwing up bloom stocks regularly, and the advice I had was to keep them cut off before the flower opens or the plant will go dormant afterward. Right now, after trying 8 times on blooms, it has slowed the new growth. It does get to be quite lush, but the fish haven't been nibbling it. My tank runs 82deg with a Custom sealife Smartlight (2 compact fl). Give the plant a try, it is beautiful.
I have a post earlier with a photo of my tank, you can see it there.

ChloroPhil
12-22-2003, 06:23 PM
I've never grown it myself, but I sell it often. :)

It needs decent light and a nice rich substrate. A fertilizer tab buried near the bulb (which shouldn't be buried) is sufficient.

Brian,

Ulvaceous are a species that needs a dormant period. If it's slowing down production of flower stalks you might think about letting it rest for a few weeks. Wrapping it in moist paper towels and putting it in a sealable container for a month is usually sufficient.

Best,
Phil

jules
12-22-2003, 08:10 PM
So I just bury the roots at the bottom of the bulb to keep it in the substrate?

Brian - I checked out the photo of your tank - lookin good. I think I saw a Gourami in there - does he bug your Discus?

$22.99, most expensive plant in there, hope it lives :P

thanks again!!

mattrox
12-22-2003, 10:19 PM
The plant does actually Need a dormant period at some stage. I have heard in the friddge works..... but I suspect a wine fridge at a slightly higher temp might be better.... or just on the bench during winter as long as your bench doesn't get below freezing.

Two to 3 months dormancy at 46 to 50 deg F (8 - 10 deg C).

Brian-pdx
12-24-2003, 03:56 PM
Thanks for the feedback, I'll pull the plant and wrap it up for a while. I had it planted with the bulb just under the surface, so the crown of leaves is above gravel, and no problem, but when I replant, I'll set it a little higher. The cost seems high, I think I paid $7.95 for mine at the LFS (check website www.wetspottropicalfish.com in portland, OR, he has "the cichlid exchange" as well), lots of selection, although I don't know if they mail.
I have 6 dwarf gourami's and they don't hassle the discus, but they are pigs at the trough, so they encourage the discus to get in there and eat aggressively. ;)
Also, a personal thanks and Merry Christmas to you Phil. Your knowledge and encouragement (to me and all others here) are why I've got a tank that makes me happy, and brings peace to everyone who views it. Thank you!

mattrox
12-24-2003, 09:41 PM
To get it though the dormant period, just place it in a jar in some gravel on the bench in a cool place. As spring warms up just place it back in the tank.

ChloroPhil
12-24-2003, 10:04 PM
Brian,

You're welcome! This is what I love and I'm glad I can help people enjoy their plants as much as I do. You guys here are the best.

On this day, in the City of David was born a Savior.
Phil

Wahter
12-25-2003, 12:24 AM
Here's some info:

http://www.tropica.com/productcard_1.asp?id=086