PDA

View Full Version : Anyone heard of Red Velvet strain?

makiedog
12-22-2003, 07:12 PM
My LFS recently brought in a batch of 15 3-inch "Red Velvet". They look like my Pigeon Blood but without the black dusting. They're primarily solid peach/orange in color. The fish store wants $199 for each. Yes, $199! Owner says its a very rare strain and when fully grown will turn bright red. Is the price justified?

BTW, they sell 3-4" Blue Diamonds for $50 ea.

Jeff
12-22-2003, 07:15 PM
That is up to you. If you really like them buy them. Personally I can't see something prob like a melon going at 3" for $199 but that is me. The price of a discus is always what someone is willing to pay.

M0oN
12-22-2003, 07:27 PM
http://www.blackcountrydiscus.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idProduct=100

There's some for roughly 30 dollars ;)

henryD
12-22-2003, 07:42 PM
Sorry they look like red melons or marlboro red to me. Not even very clean to boot. If you really want so I have some for half that price......100.00 and mine have no peppering.... ;D

Henry

Tad
12-22-2003, 08:02 PM
Sounds like some LFS is turning a sows ear into a red velvet purse ;D

Tad :P

Nightowl
12-23-2003, 02:25 AM
Red velvets have been available on wholesale lists for well over a year now. From what I've seen, they are like ruby reds or red melons. If the ventrals are red, and there is a good amount of red below the dorsal and above lower fins, then the fish will have a lot of red as an adult. If the dealer paid a lot for them and was told they are rare it might not be a case of the store trying to rip off the public....many LFS dealers don't know discus(was that a resounding "duh" I just heard?)
To me, and the LFS I work in, those are $34.99 fish. I have bought a few over the last 2 years and they can be described as clean red/ orange pigeons, no blue stripes anywhere, no peppering. ....nothing super special. hth J.T.

SLY
12-23-2003, 03:23 AM
I'm gonna breed some red fish and call it flying red carpet soon..watch this space. ;D

beta
12-23-2003, 07:50 AM
I'm gonna breed some red fish and call it flying red carpet soon..watch this space. ;D

Do they need a tight lid ;D I want a dozen and dont forget the jetpacks for them :)