PDA

View Full Version : H.O.T. Magnum as water change pump

M0oN
12-25-2003, 02:40 PM
Does anyone see any problems with using a H.O.T. magnum to change out water?

What I'm considering is using an adapter on the output to connect a 1/2" tube to syphon water out of the tank and then doing the opposite on the intake to put new water back in.

What I'm curious about is if the magnum will be able to do this or is it going to cause the impeller to be exposed when expelling water and cause the canister to gain too much compression when taking in water.

Any ideas?

daninthesand
12-25-2003, 03:34 PM
Hi Moon.

I dont own a Hot magnum, but i do own the magnum 350 which is basically the same pump. My experience with the 350 is that it's pretty cumbersome when trying to set it up initialy. Any air in the pump makes it not function and i find it takes a lot of effort to get it going.

I'd say the HOT magnum might be similar. If you already own the Magnum, then by all means, of course give it a try. But I cna think of many pumps better suited to your intentions than the magnums.

HTH

Daniel

FishGuru
12-25-2003, 11:35 PM
Hey, I own a HOT Magnum, i know they sell vacuum accessories for the filter so I don't see why using it this way would be a problem, good luck!

Denny
12-31-2003, 01:42 PM
One possible problem is that it may not be able to produce enough head pressure to pump water from lower storage containers to higher tanks. good luck and let us know how it works