PDA

View Full Version : Pruning

knewby
12-29-2003, 09:00 PM
What should i use to prune my java moss? Can i use regular scissors? I'm worried the metal will contaminate the water.

elgecko
12-29-2003, 11:31 PM
What I do for my Java Moss is pull large amounts of it out of the tank. Then spread out the remaining moss.

ChloroPhil
12-30-2003, 09:47 AM
If you want to trim it, scissors are just fine. I usually just gently pull out clumps from large patches of it. It'll grow back just fine if it grew enough to need grooming in the first place. :)

Paulio
12-30-2003, 12:27 PM
I held out a long time against buying a pair of those long handled scissors. Now that I have them I LOVE them. I can see what I am cutting in the tank through the front glass! You can give your Moss a haircut no trouble at all.

Paul

knewby
12-30-2003, 12:50 PM
Awesome!

JMIZ16
12-31-2003, 10:52 AM
You can cut, pull, clip, or whatever you need to do. personally i like to pull the stuff on top and spead it out over any uncovered areas. Try and keep it thin , b/c when it get very thick it kind of acts like a sponge and collects a sh-t load of detritus. Try and keep strong water movement around it that might help it from collecting detritus.

knewby
01-03-2004, 12:00 AM
Do the trimmings act as new plants and root into the substrate? Or do the trimmings just rot inside the tank if i leave them in there?

ChloroPhil
01-03-2004, 11:34 PM
You're usually better off uprooting the plants and replanting the tops. Although, if you're trying to propegate them it's best to trim the tops and plant them while leaving the lower portion sill planted.

Best,
Phil