PDA

View Full Version : which sponges kill fish

drew22to375
12-31-2003, 09:49 PM
I need to make some prefilter sponges. I remember there are certain brands that tend to kill fish. Does anyone know which ones to stay clear of. Or are they marked on the sponges if they have any cleaners ect added?

TIA

Ardan
12-31-2003, 09:57 PM
Hi,
I use the ones the pet shops sell or online, usually aquaclear sponges and cut them anyway I want, just to be safe. They don't cost too much either.

hth

Carol_Roberts
12-31-2003, 10:34 PM
You wanta a fine pore (small holes) sponge with no antibacterial, anti mold, perfume or soap.

My favorites are the blue fluval 2 cylinders - see them on the african tank below

April
01-01-2004, 06:35 PM
you can get aquaclear sponge and cut them. i just use scissors and cut a hole in the middle and then stuff it on.
but those ones carol shows look good. think best to stick with fish safe sponge .

01-03-2004, 03:03 AM
Hi Carol !!

very nice african cichlid tank....

You said you don't use activated carbon (AC) for you discus tank,....... Do you use AC for you cichlid tank?

Carol_Roberts
01-03-2004, 03:18 AM
Nope. I have cellPore in one Aqua Clear 500 and two sponges in the other. I do two 25% water changes a week in this tank, rinsing the prefilters at each water change. Two new swarms of brichardi babies hatched yesterday. The brichardi are holding their own and even increasing their numbers in spite of two calvus and three frontosa. None of the yellow labs or lelupi babies ever make it. . .