PDA

View Full Version : Diatom Filter

Debo
01-03-2004, 05:10 PM
I was thinking about getting a diatom filter. Can any one tell me a little about them? Is it a good investments are the a pain to operate? Let me know your thoughts !.
DebO

MonkeeFish
01-03-2004, 05:33 PM
i heard it can kill your fishes
since it can make the water too pure

Carol_Roberts
01-03-2004, 07:00 PM
No Monkeefish, a diatom filter removes solids from the water - things you can see floating in the water.

A reverse Osmossis filter removes disolved minerals and that can eventually kill discus usually from a pH crash.

I don't use a diatom filter. I don't find I need one in my barebottom tanks with daily water changes and fine pore prefilters to trap particles in the water.

M0oN
01-03-2004, 07:10 PM
If you aren't satisfied with the clarity of your water it couldn't hurt, they're not useful for anything more then polishing water and maybe removing some bacteria/parasites...

Rick_May
01-03-2004, 07:20 PM
the way diatom works is the solids get trapped in the diatom powder that is coating the filter. Diatom filters very small particles out of the water like free floating algae and even some bacteria. I've used several and the one I like the most for ease of setting up and cleaning is the system one DE filter. the others that use filter bags and long hoses are just a p.i.t.a. the system one simply unscrew the bottle add 1/4 cup de screw it back on and hit the power switch. They are pretty expensive costing over 100.00 new but watch ebay or other auction sites I picked up mine for 35.00 a real bargain.

Debo
01-03-2004, 07:43 PM
Thanks for the input! For some reason my tank that I removed all the gravel from never looks crystal clear like it use to. I would just use it to polish the water. Carrol my tank is now BB. I do have sponges on the intakes. But the water never seems to be clear.
DebO

Carol_Roberts
01-03-2004, 09:43 PM
I bet lots was stirred up when you removed the gravel - no matter how careful you were. Polishing with a diatom filter is a good idea. If you have larger pore sponges - like aqua clear sponges on the prefilter it does not trap as much debris as the fine pore sponges

Debo
01-03-2004, 10:28 PM
I took all the water out and fish and put water and fish in 75 gallon tank put the filters on the 75. And what water did not fit in the 75 I put in a storage container. Then I removed all gravel. That Was Fun! Rinsed and scrubbed and rinsed somemore! Until the the tank looked like it had never been used! All readings are great. But it still remains kind of cloudy. I do need to find some smaller pored sponges. I would like to find some of the fulval blue sponges but have not had any luck. Carrol I think I read some where that you just used regular household sponges. With no cleaners in them. Are these finer then the aqua clear sponges??
DebO

Willie
01-03-2004, 10:56 PM
The problem with using fine pre-filters is that they plug up on me. I used to buy sponges for washing cars at Home Depot, but they're just too fine pored.

Willie

Carol_Roberts
01-04-2004, 02:19 AM
The blue fluval 2's work like a dream. I rinse them at every water change. The car sponges don't last as long and start to fall apart after a few months

Denny
01-04-2004, 11:50 AM
Deb

You may find that one of the Magnum HOT filters will be all you need to get the water clear for you and without the powder. If you do decide you need to use the diatom powder, I have used it in the magnum with the micro cartridge and it work fine, although I am not sure if the addition of the powder makes a noticeable difference in clarity

01-04-2004, 06:34 PM
Yep I am with Denny on this.

I have both. A Diatom and H.O.T Magnum

The Diatom does a better job, but it is also way more work.
The H.O.T magnum does also a very good job with the Micron Cartidge,and for me it is enough.
Combined with the W/C's a H.O.T should be sufficent.

Ronald

korbi_doc
01-05-2004, 01:55 PM
:bounce2: :bounce2: :bounce2: I'm with Ronald & Denny! I have both, & I love the Vortex diatom but will admit it's little more work, altho can't be beat when there's a problem. Last nite while cleaning the QT with my new reds, dropped the top off the sponge filter, boy what a mess came out of it. I obviously hadn't cleaned it in awhile. So thought 'bout the Votex, but used the HOT magnum instead, & it was cleared within the hour. That Vortex, however saved my babies when the auto-feeder failed (actually I failed to set it up properly) while I was away & came home to a tank filled with a floating mulm mess. The HOT on the tank was overwhelmed, so cleaned it & sponges & put on the Vortex for 2 days!! Phew!!!! nice to have a backup, lol Dottie ;D

jeep
01-05-2004, 02:37 PM
I agree with Denny, Ronald and Dottie about the HOT :)

I recently started using a HOT Magnum and really like it. Other than removing the smaller particles, you can adjust the output water and push the solid waste into a more compact area. Less vacuuming...

I went with the HOT after reading Dave C's report on his experiences...

Brian