PDA

View Full Version : Peppering?

aj31655
01-04-2004, 10:03 PM
I am unsure what strains to look out for peppering on. Is it just pigeons? or anything with pigeon genes in it, and if so what strains have those genes. I just REALLY dilike it and would preffer to avoid any strain with a chance of peppering. Do breeders like Cary Strong's fish usually stay pretty clean or does everyone have it?

Carol_Roberts
01-04-2004, 10:18 PM
Any discus that is pigeon or pigeon cross will have some amount of peppering. Be sure to tell the seller (Cary) that you want fish with no pepper.

Here are some choices that have no pepper:
Red White
Violet Reflection
Red Royal
Blue Snake
Red Snake

Discus that have names like
Melon, tangerine, panda may have some pepper

aj31655
01-04-2004, 10:23 PM
So you can usually request fish without, I really like tangerines but wouldn't get them if they had peppering. But if you can request the that would be nice.

Carol_Roberts
01-05-2004, 12:27 AM
Pigeon based fish will have some peppering. The best will have a few specks, average wil have speckles on nose, forehead, etc. Heavily peppered will have black speckles all over the body.

The conditions of your tank also dictate how much the pepper will show. Dark back grounds, dirty, graveled tanks, pH swings all make the pepper more noticible.

Happy, healthy pigeons that are genetically lightly peppered and kept in tanks with pale backgrounds can appear speck free.

April
01-05-2004, 12:47 AM
A breeder can do his best to select the cleanest ones for you . but also.. it does have to do with quality of water and stress and background colours. a breeder can send clean pigeons and then with stress of shipping or different water conditions etc they could develop some.
or they may not.
there are alot of very nice clean pigeons lately. as time goes on their getting cleaner and cleaner through select breeding.
but definitely make it known to the breeder or seller you want clean.
or.. go with the barred fish.