PDA

View Full Version : Methods to Make Water Changes QUICK & EASY!

Jim_Guz
01-04-2004, 11:56 PM
I'm interested in hearing some ideas on how to make water changes simple (almost automatic if possible). Like most, my time is precious (but so are my discus)....so any ideas on making water changes as quick and easy as possible would be appreciated. I wouldn't mind doing any plumbing involved, to make it all semi-automatic. I know I could drill a hole in my tank and install a bulhead fitting for an auto overflow and allow water to drip in slowly. But the idea of drilling a hole in my 125g tank (that's full of fish!) makes me nervous. Is there another way to make an auto overflow without drilling a hole in your tank?

Currently I'm using a Python syphon hose and then just reversing the flow to refill, adjusting the water temp and adding some dechlor. This works ok, but am looking for something more automatic or semi-automatic.

Thanks in advance for sharing any good ideas!

Jim

GulfCoastDiscus
01-05-2004, 12:24 AM
Hi Jim,
Welcome. You don't drill the tank with fish in it. Remove everything first then drill otherwise you can buy an overflow box to do the job or make your own. The truth is there is no other way around to vacuuming the waste on the bottom of the tank. I happen to enjoy doing water changes. It's like gardening. It's a form of meditation.
Having a constant drip system and an overflow minimizes your w/c but you have to make sure the water parameters going in is constant. I say too much trouble if you only have one tank.

Dan
dan

01-05-2004, 01:55 AM
Just use the method you have with the siphon.
Instead the siphon you plumb it with pvc.

I have 5 tanks right now using this method. All tanks are plumbed.
I siphon the 1st tank. then I attach a garden hose to the pvc (which is cut to the length I normally drain) and open the ball valve.(also pvc). Then I continue to siphon the others. As soon the 1 tank is drained I go to the next and drain and so on. When finished with Siphon I also use that hose for draining. Then I use a separate RV drinking water hose and fill , using the same drains connection. That way I never lose the siphon.
All together it takes about 1 hrs for all tanks, 3 55gal. 1 29gal and 1 125gal.

If you could plumb the tanks together, even better.
I have them pretty much all over the place.

I think I confused myself lol.

Ronald

01-05-2004, 02:13 AM
I think a pic is more worth then my explenation lol.

01-05-2004, 02:14 AM
and last pic.

ronrca
01-06-2004, 11:04 AM
That is the easiest way to drain water. Just make sure that the valve is as low as possible and you will have no problems. ;)

Great pics btw!

Jim, keep browsing the DIY section for many more ideas. If you have any questions, do not hesitate to ask! ;)