PDA

View Full Version : Need Ideas for Right side of Tank

jules
01-05-2004, 02:23 PM
Hi folks, I trimmed the Sword leaves which weren't thriving and now it needs spicing up. The Crypt and Red Tiger Lotus are doing well, however everything is slow growing because there is no C02 injection. Tank is about 84 degrees and there are greenery nibbling loaches in there.

Any ideas?

thanks in advance for you help!

ChloroPhil
01-05-2004, 06:57 PM
Jules,

It's going to be tough finding anything to spruce up a tank without CO2. Most of the "sprucy" plants need it. You could put some Anubias and/or Aponogeton in there, they do fine without CO2.

Best,
Phil

jules
01-05-2004, 07:30 PM
Thanks Phil...I have an anubia in the middle of the tank. Vallisneria is doing ok on the other side of tank.
Does anyone have a Aponogeton madagascarensis (Madagascar Lace Plant) in their tank along with Clown Loaches- they made a salad out of my beautiful Aponogeton Ulvaceus. :( and I'm wondering if they like the Lace Plants also?

EDGE
01-06-2004, 10:31 PM
The water temperature for discus is too warm for lace plant to flourish.

Wahter
01-07-2004, 02:54 PM
If your swords are doing okay in that tank, you can try a few other varieties - like the rubin (echinodorus rubin). Or look for some other anubias plants - barteri var barteri, angustifolia, hastifolia, etc...

The Madagascar Lace plant is usually hard to keep over a long period of time - some people say it's because the plant typically doesn't get enough nutrients to "wake up" from the dormant period. Usually the bulbs do very well for a short while, then slowly die off. You might want to check into this plant on the Aquatic Plants Digest:

http://fins.actwin.com/aquatic-plants/

jules
01-11-2004, 10:29 AM
One more question: the swords always have alot of nice new growth but then they get to a certain height and the leaves start to deteriorate - turn yellowish/brown - is this a nutrient deficiency? I use the flourish root tabs but don't add any liquid fertilizer.

thanks... :)

ChloroPhil
01-11-2004, 11:13 AM
I'd say it's a Magnesium and Calcium deficiency. Possibly Nitrogen. Big swords are nutrient hogs.

Walter, what do you think? You've got more experience with Echinodorus than I do.

Wahter
01-11-2004, 11:46 PM
If the new leaves start out very crooked, twisted or bent, then it's a calcium deficiency - I see this on my sword plants often (the water is soft where I am).

jules
01-14-2004, 12:01 PM
Hi Wahter - what is the KH/GH of your tank? Mine is approximately 7KH.