PDA

View Full Version : lighting

Kevin63
01-06-2004, 07:55 PM
I have a 55-gal with standard top with 2 single 15" lights ...

I want to get lighting that shows off the colors of my fish best. I went and got an Aqua-glo 18000K bulb for one of the sides to see the difference ... ITS BLUE! ... really blue! I'm looking at it side by side with my regular white bulb that came with the tank ... I don't know if I like it or not ... I have a BB tank and just want the light that shows off my fish best ... any ideas? Do I need a double bulb units?

Carol_Roberts
01-06-2004, 07:58 PM
A single strip 48 inch bulb would work. Try lights in the 10,000 range for a white light

kjmillerfw
01-07-2004, 12:03 PM
I just bought some 50/50 blue/white bulbs that make my fish just sparkle. They are a bit expensive ($20 for 18" bulbs) but I think they are worth it. I got them at petsmart but you could probably find them cheaper somewhere else. When I bought the tank it came with those really blue lights. It looks kinda freaky to me...almost like a black light. I threw those in the trash! I think they are mainly used for coral or planted tanks.

In my other tank with some fry I'm growing out, I bought a full-spectrum light for that tank and the colors are really nice there too. Before I had a light that cast a yellow tinge and made everything look dirty...blah!

realbetta
01-18-2004, 02:09 AM
Hi;

I am wondering if Discus need light for to be heathy. I have 100 gal Rubbermaid tank in a corner of my fish room where it has only dim light. Don't know if I can keep discuss in there if I have to.

Carol_Roberts
01-18-2004, 11:52 AM
Discus don't need bright lights. The lights are so we can see them better.