PDA

View Full Version : Flooor support fo new aquarium

jaydoc
01-07-2004, 01:34 AM
Any body know how to figure if I have adequate floor support for my new 175 bowfront with oak stand? I have 10" joists that are the wooden I beam type and they are on 12" centers under the aquarium. Also concerned that the front and back edge of the stand will not lie directly over a joist. Will this put undue stress on the subflooring? Any thoughts?

Rick_May
01-07-2004, 11:20 AM
Are you setting up your tank cross joist or long ways along the joist? I've had tanks setup both directions and found I could rock the tank that was long ways.......VERY SCARY. what I did cus that was the way I had to set it up, was to increase the size of the base by laying a sheet 3/4" of plywood cut so that it covered two joists this eliminated the rocking and I've had it setup for years. Now that tank was only a 55 your dealing with 3 times the weight. It sounds like you can get to the joists maybe you should reinforce the joists.

jeep
01-07-2004, 11:38 AM
I have 10" joists that are the wooden I beam type and they are on 12" centers under the aquarium.

If that info is correct, you will have no problem with the weight. 12" center is uncommon, are you sure it's not 16"?

What material is the sub-flooring, particle board or plywood? Plywood is best for weight and watery areas...

What is the design of the stand? Most 175B stands I've seen are flat on the bottom to disburse weight evenly. If the weight is distributed then there should be no problem

SSTurner
01-07-2004, 01:38 PM
No problem, I would worry more about the tank stand then your floor. tank stands are 3/4 in. wood is stronger then most think and if you have 12in. on center you fine

jaydoc
01-07-2004, 07:37 PM
The floor joist system is actually on 20" centers. When the house was under construction, I had two extra joist put in where the aquarium will go. Up to this point I have only had a 75ga. there so I new I was ok. The tank runs in the direction of the joist i.e. long ways. I know that 20" is wierd but I guess some of these new flooring systems with Mini truss type joists don't follow conventional 16" rule. I do have access to the joists as the basement is unfinished so could put up a post or two or stem walls. that would limit how I could finish that room in the basement later though. The stand is on order so I haven't evaluated it's construction. The subfloor is 3/4" particle board. Should I set the stand on a pieece of 3/4" ply?

Rick_May
01-07-2004, 08:01 PM
you might want to talk this over with Joe @ enchanteddiscus He's a flooring guy and I'm sure he would know.

heres his website http://www.enchanteddiscus.com/

Denny
01-07-2004, 08:46 PM
The spacing is getting more common and is actually about 19.2 inches. The reason is you will have 5 floor joists per 8' sheet of plywood and that is enough to meet code. Think of it as a compromise between spacing them at either 16 or 24 inches.

As to whether the joists will take the load, it is necessary to know the wirght capacity of the joists per foot( did you say these are the TGI Joists that consist of laminated 2x2's on the top and bottom and 1/2"oriented strand board in the center?). and how long they span unsupported.

To be on the safe side since you have access you can but an adjustable screw post for about 30 bucks and use a 6x6 across the bottom of the joists as a header to give support to as many as need it.

P.S Ever wonder how those TGI Joists will hold up if they get soaked ?lol

jaydoc
01-07-2004, 10:33 PM
yes actually I have wondered what happensw when they get wet. My 75 ga has been in the same spot for six years and they look fine so far from the rare water accident. What do you suggest. I could just put the aquarium in the basement from the beginning instead of waiting for it to find it's own way there ;D

jeep
01-07-2004, 10:39 PM
If an elephant can dance on them (old commercial) then I guess your aquarium should be ok ;D

SSTurner
01-07-2004, 10:50 PM
Denny be right on, add the support if you don't trust it.

Them lam-beams very strong.
Steve