PDA

View Full Version : "Black Pepper" Spots

Eddie
01-08-2004, 10:42 AM
I bought 5 "SRT Red Dragon" discus from a breeder in Cali. They all have severe peppering. The breeder says that these are due to stressful conditions and they will go away. I have had them for 2 months now and although they seem to be fading, they are still present. My water parameters are in order (pH=6.6 86F 10 degrees GH, and KH=3)and I was wondering if they indeed will lose these spots. They are 2-2.5" juveniles. They are in a community tank with red tail shark, black tetras, glow eye tetras, pictus catfish, and plecos. If you have had experience with this before, please post!! I have gotten several mixed opinions from LFS's.

jeep
01-08-2004, 11:24 AM
Peppering is a genetic trait (similar to freckles) in Pidgeon based fish. It won't "go away", but under ideal conditions it can fade considerably.

Carol_Roberts
01-08-2004, 12:55 PM
Jeep is correct.

By the way, ideal conditions include a bare bottom tank with a pale blue or white bacground, daily water changes with stable water and no community fish.

The pepper (which is always there) lightens when they feel good and darkens when they don't.

Some of the newer, higher quality pigeons have very little peppering. You have to specifically ask for no peppering when you purchase pigeons.