PDA

View Full Version : Help Gorilla Rack experts...

brewmaster15
01-10-2004, 01:56 AM
Okay.. Not a good day as far as getting anything done.. I wanted to work on my garage..the new fish room...so off I went to Home depot.

I wanted to order some gorilla racks..

15 minutes in the shelving department
redirected to "special services" 20 minutes there..."no sir..can't help you..Try The "pro desk:

20 minutes at the prodesk ... waiting in line.. get to the "pro".. "sorry...I can't help you, but the "expert pro" will be here in about 15 minutes--he's been in tis business longer than I have been alive."

Enter the Expert Pro.. "Nope... we don't sell them. "

Brews reply... "yes you do."

The Expert Pro " Sir, we don't sell Them"

Brews Reply...." yes you do, I have friends with fish tanks sitting on them."

the Expert Pro " Oh, let me check with so and so..." 1 page and 2 telephone calls latter" sorry sir... we don't sell them, can't help you"

Brew reply..."@#@$^$%&%^(*%&^"
--okay... I said that as I left Home Depot.

so the question.. anyone that has bought these racks at home depot.. got a a part number?

thanks,
al

limige
01-10-2004, 03:16 AM
lol, can't help you there brew....but i was researching pallet racks at grainger.com.

for about $300 you can get a huge rack, like 10'x4'x7' high and will hold anything you can fit on them, i was thinking back to back 125's, one rack you could fit 8 on 2 shelfs and have room for plumbing.

if your doing back to back tanks it's worth considering.

mike

Lance_Krueger
01-10-2004, 04:04 AM
Hey Al,
I have been going through the same thing. Found some really awesome racks by Edsal at Home Depot that are 6 feet long, by 18 inches wide, buy six feet high. I think Mench uses the same ones. A 125/135/150 gallon tank would fit perfectly on it. I just bought two of them, and from that I'll be able to make three racks hooked together (18 feet long). I only use two of the supplied three shelves for each rack, so by hooking them in series, I'm able to have eighteen feet of continuous heavy duty rack that's adjustable or reconfigurable, unlike the wooden stands I made a few months ago. I just moved to a new house, so those racks don't work so well at the new house, so it's adjustable racks for me now. I also bought 3/4" sanded plywood that is $27.95, instead of the cheapest 3/4" rough plywood which is $24.95. They cut the shelves to plywood to the right size for free. Looks like something you could build some nice cabinets with. Plus, it's a little bit thicker than the cheap stuff so you won't have the edge of the Z-bar sticking up above the wood. Another thing, look for one of these racks that the box is beat up. I found two that the box was beat up and even some of the edges of the particle board shelves (which I'm going to give away or throw away anyhow) were damaged. Talked to a guy in that department and he gladly gave me a 20 percent discount. And he kept telling me how glad he was I was taking those two, as he would be stuck with them. So look for beat up ones and ask for a discount. I think the discount brought the $89 rack down to $71.20 each.
If you're really stuck on finding Gorilla brand racks, or want a different size, then you can go to Sam's Club, and they've got a three shelf, 6' wide Gorilla brand rack that is very similar to the Edsal brand racks I bought. But they're 24 inches wide, and seven feet tall. They're only about $75 each, and you can do the add on thing with them too, like I described above. I'm thinking about these for breeder tanks (narrow side out), and 55 and 75 gallon growout tanks that I'll stick narrow end out. But I'd put two of these racks back to back so the entire 48 inches of the 55's and 75's would be supported. I'd do the plywood shelves as replacements for the particle board shelves, too. I looked at Lowes, Home Depot and others, and the only place I was able to find the Gorilla racks was Sam's. I even contacted the people at Rapid Rack/Gorilla rack, and they said that was where to go.
Sam's also has some 4 foot wide and 3 foot wide Gorilla racks as well, but won't hold nearly the weight of the three shelf system.
Hope that helps,
Lance Krueger

Mike_Selley
01-10-2004, 04:16 AM
To the best of my knowledge, Home Depot was right. They don't sell gorilla racks, but they do sell Z shelving from Edsal Mfg., which holds 3500 lbs./shelf. I think the unit is 6 foot long, six foot high, and 18 inches deep. However, Home Depot apparently gets them forced out, and they can't order them, so sometimes they get them, don't sell them for a while, so they get moved around, and they don't even know they have them.
Some Home Depots in my area have some and some don't. They had to get mine down from the very top of the shelves with a tow motor, and everyone in the store except the store manager swore they didn't have any. I think they're like $89.
John Nicholson , I believe, and some of the others have used them. :)

Mike_Selley
01-10-2004, 04:35 AM
OK Lance, I can't help it I type so slow he- he. ::) Seriously though, I have one sitting in my garage and was going to buy another one and put my 125 and some 65s on the shelves, but when I measured the shelves after sitting them up in the garage I'm wondering if 1 125 or 2 65s will go on each shelf.
Anyone using these please respond as I'm tired of seeing it sitting there, but according to my measurements my 125 probably ain't gonna fit :-\

01-10-2004, 07:24 AM
Okay.. Not a good day as far as getting anything done.. I wanted to work on my garage..the new fish room...so off I went to Home depot.

I wanted to order some gorilla racks..

15 minutes in the shelving department
redirected to "special services" 20 minutes there..."no sir..can't help you..Try The "pro desk:

20 minutes at the prodesk ... waiting in line.. get to the "pro".. "sorry...I can't help you, but the "expert pro" will be here in about 15 minutes--he's been in tis business longer than I have been alive."

Enter the Expert Pro.. "Nope... we don't sell them. "

Brews reply... "yes you do."

The Expert Pro " Sir, we don't sell Them"

Brews Reply...." yes you do, I have friends with fish tanks sitting on them."

the Expert Pro " Oh, let me check with so and so..." 1 page and 2 telephone calls latter" sorry sir... we don't sell them, can't help you"

Brew reply..."@#@$^$%&%^(*%&^"
--okay... I said that as I left Home Depot.

so the question.. anyone that has bought these racks at home depot.. got a a part number?

thanks,
al

Hi, Al:

You got my regards. I know how funny that situation is. Been there before especially with Home Depot. I found out that there are satellites where they don't train those as sophisticated as the main centers. The main centers are opened 24-7. Maybe if you go to the main branch in your area, you may be able to get your materials and may be able to find someone there with the knowledge.

Good luck.

bikhu
01-10-2004, 08:45 AM
Hi Al,
When I was in the restaurant biz I used to buy Gorilla Racks for my storerooma and walk in coolers. I bought them from, surprisingly enough, restaurant/ foodservice supply outlets. I am sure that there must be some thing like that in Hartford or New Haven. There is a place in Springfield called Kittredge Rest. Supply. Sysco FOodservice might have them available but I am not sure if Sysco would require you to have an account with them. WHo knows between the racks, stainless stell equipment and brewing supplies it might make sense to hook up with someone like that. HTH
peter

Discusgeo
01-10-2004, 08:49 AM
Al contact the manufacture and ask where someone sells them in your local area. Heres their Web Site address: I have 2 sets in my garage and worked out nice for my breeder tanks.
George
http://www.rapidrack.com/
customerservice@gorillarack.com
1-800-736-7225

jeep
01-10-2004, 10:35 AM
Sam's and Costco both sell what you're looking for in a standard 3 shelf package for I think around $75. HD is store by store and theirs are around $99. Some have them and some don't.

One HD near my house sells "Gorilla Racks" and another one a few miles away sells the "Z" beam, by Edsal. I think they're confused ???

If there's a Menards in your area, try them. From what I've been told, you can custom order your shelving parts to tailor to your needs.

http://www.edsal.com/

Brian

Lance_Krueger
01-10-2004, 11:39 AM
Al,
If you look under the edsal site, go to their catalog, then bulk racks, then welded frame bulk storage rack. Home Depot carries the 72" model and is model number Z1500, I think. I think they can order other sizes for you, but it gets more expensive. The shelves are in the "Storage" department of Home Depot.

Mike Selley,
I just remeasured my Edsal racks, and there's 72 3/4" width of room, and I measured my 125 gallon Universal, my 135 gallon Oceanic, and my 150 gallon Oceanic, and they are all 72 1/2" long. So you've got a 1/4" to slide them in, so you'll have to go straight in, but they should work just fine. Just make sure you've got a couple of buddies helping you! ;)
Lance Krueger

tony1313
01-10-2004, 12:07 PM
Hey Al,
If your looking for gorillas take Brians advise and try Sam's Club if you have one in your area. I picked some up their a few years back(not sure if they still sell em though).

hth and good luck,
Tony

gparr
01-10-2004, 01:10 PM
Sam's Club by me sells the gorilla racks as well. One piece of advice...you are going to need some help moving them...they are HEAVY!!!!

Good Luck!

Gordon

korbi_doc
01-10-2004, 09:17 PM
:bounce2: :bounce2: Hey Al, I'm in Pleasantville NJ, & was in Sams today. They had 2 sizes, a 4' & a 7'long. Called them Rapid Rack. They are huge & obviously very strong/heavy. I bet the Sams near you has'm. They're too bloody huge for me, in the house, & I'm not ready to go down to the basement yet. lol, Dottie ;D ;D

brewmaster15
01-11-2004, 06:19 AM
Thanks everyone for the great Info. I guess what made the whole day frustrating was I described the racks to them as "gorilla racks" or "pallet Racks" and racks similar to The stores shelving system.... not caring who the manafucturer ..Just the system that would hold the weight. The
'pros" were clueless. In this day and age of computers.. The search technique consisted of asking around other clueless workers and flipping thru a tattered catalogue.. You'd think with all the technology they could type in product search? If you go to homedepot.com and do a search for " Edsal" They don't even list it. :-\ Oh well in a perfect world.. Houses would come set up for fish rooms and we wouldn't have to look for what we need. :)

Thanks again all,
al

bikhu
01-11-2004, 09:45 AM
Sign me up for that world please! ;D

susankay1
01-11-2004, 09:58 AM
Al, try Menards. They have the racks you are looking for.

April
01-11-2004, 02:41 PM
ok thats it. lets get a petition going that all houses built should have a fishroom with racks all installed!!
hope you find your raCKS Brew. Mench emailed me the parts number before. but of course that was far far away on my old computer!!

jun
01-11-2004, 04:34 PM
al,

check out orchard. that is where i used to get them.

jun

aqua
01-12-2004, 06:30 PM
Al,
Is there an Orchard Supplies near you? I just got a Gorrilla Rack from them (72x72x18). The model is GR7200 ($89.00). It's a heavy duty rack, 3 shelves, very easy to assemble. You just need a hammer.

ronrca
01-19-2004, 12:37 PM
;D
Ive found a place where to buy these gorilla racks (actually dont really care who's racks they are) but my concern is how much wieght should one shelf hold? Ive seen the Gorilla Rack GR7200 mentioned. It is rated at 2000lbs be shelf. Is that enough? If I put 100G tank on it, will be hold?

Another question about the dimensions on the shelves vs. the tanks! If the rack is 36" long for example, is it inside dimension of 36" or outside? Standard tank sizes come in 36" so can I fit a 36" tank in a 36" rack? ???

Btw, what is the conversion again from Gallons to lbs? Am I correct that 100G of water = 800lbs?

Thanks!

Discusgeo
01-19-2004, 12:52 PM
It's close depending on who you listen too:
1 gallon of water equals 8.33 lbs,
100=833lbs

ronrca
01-19-2004, 01:06 PM
Thanks George! For some reason or another, I had figured 100G to weigh around 8000lbs instead of 800lbs! LOL! Now I chuckle because I told the service guy at Totem (Canadian hardware store) that I need a shelf that will hold 8000lbs! LOL! ;D Oops! I wonder what he will come up with! :P

susankay1
01-19-2004, 01:52 PM
8000 lbs? Whew that would be some rack!!! I have 2-8 foot sections in my living room and I have 2-55 gallon tanks on each shelf. We only went 2 high, didn't want to have to drag that darn ladder all over the house. On one shelf, we have a 55 and a 90 gallon tank, they have about 1/2 inch between the tanks, the 90 gallon overhangs just a bit ( we got the 18 inch ends, that means 18 OD, about 15 ID. We replaced the pressboard with 3/4 inch plywood, got 3 shelves out of one sheet, with just enough left over to help strengthen the cross braces. None of the racks show any signs of bowing or stressing in any way. HTH Susan and Bill

susankay1
01-19-2004, 02:03 PM
Here it is

ronrca
01-19-2004, 02:11 PM
;)
Thanks Susan and Bill for the reassurance! I could only wish for that in my livingroom btw! ;D I now know what Im looking for! ;)

Lynn
01-19-2004, 06:04 PM
I purchased my Edsal rack at Home depot. It is very similar to what the stores use for their merchandise. Here are the part numbers:

96" Z beam: 428-062 you would need at least 4 of these

24"x72" frame: 428-179 You need 2 of these.

Each shelf can hold 3500lbs. You will need to purchase 2x4 or 2x6 or some type of plywood to put across the beams.
HTH

Alan
01-19-2004, 07:22 PM
Hi Al,

If it's not too late, here's something you should look into:

http://www.cisco-eagle.com/miva/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=CEI&Category_Co de=DoubleRivet

I got 3 60"w x 30"d x 84"h shelf that cost me around $110 for just the frame plus delivery since I didn't want to have to haul the parts to my house. Some claims of so much lbs./shelf are just unbelievable. The double-rivets on this one sounds more credible to me.

I've set up 2 already (but not completely set-up since I have a lot of stuff to be moved ;D). I'll post the pics if you want.

HTH,

Alan

fshngal
01-19-2004, 11:33 PM
Al,

If you still need information on racking, custom or standard racks made by Scotland Rack right here is good old Bensalem, PA. They are(my guess) 10 gauge steel. I believe Scotland Rack has a website. Absolutely will hold 2100 lbs per shelf can have up to four shelves. Order from Fred Hill and Company in Philadelphia, PA.

They have standard sizes and custom made. I have several 72x72x30 and 72x72x24 - 4 shelf. They cost about $125 and are more sturdy than the Gorilla Racks that BJ's is selling. We also have one of those that is 48x72x18.
Mary

susankay1
01-20-2004, 06:45 AM
Fishngal, you are right, I went to their website and those look great. May have to order me some to pick up real soon. Check it out Al, the load ratings look real good.
http://www.scotlandrack.com/
Thanks!!!!