PDA

View Full Version : newbie questions

browneu
01-12-2004, 01:38 AM
hi,

I am going to start a discuss only tank and would eventually like to breed but that is way down the road. I do have a couple of questions. What is the minimum tank size needed to start with. I also have a question about uv sterilizers and water changes. I understand from several posts that new fish and anything that is going to be introduced to an established tank should be quarantined do to contamination. I was just wondering if anyone used uv sterilizers to kill the contaminate. They do a wonderful job killing free form algae and bacteria. Used in conjunction with a diatom filter you should have pristine water. The diatom filter can filter out parasites such as ich. Important to know that the ich must be in the free floating stage. So if the tank is properly cycled, meaning that the nitrate levels are close to zero, and with the use of these other filters would it be ok to not do daily water changes when raising jueveniles? Any opinions are welcomed about the topic.

Carol_Roberts
01-12-2004, 01:56 AM
Hi Browneu and welcome to Simply discus :wave:

Newcomers always ask if they really need to do all those water changes :o The answer is "Yes You Do". Nothing helps discus grow and stay healthy like clean tanks, clean filters and lots of clean water everyday.

Read through the beginners section. You'll find answers to lots of your questions here :)