PDA

View Full Version : What a beautiful discus I saw today.

paniza
01-13-2004, 06:00 PM
I went to my lfs to get some furan-2 with my wife when we saw this discus with an orange body and white stripes. :o :o :o

We were both amazened by the strong orange color of the guy... I had to pull wife and run from there before we decided to purchase one or two more discus. ;)

Was that a Bloody-Pigeon(spell?) perhaps?

bikhu
01-13-2004, 06:34 PM
It sounds like you saw some kind of Pigeon Blood. There are many strains of PB defines by lineage &/or markings.

paniza
01-13-2004, 06:41 PM
cool.

Thank you

RyanH
01-13-2004, 07:24 PM
You don't suppose that your lfs would mind if you went in there with a camera do you? ;D ;D

paniza
01-13-2004, 07:43 PM
he he he I could try...

But I need to cover my eyes because when I looks at it it says "Buuuuuy meeeeeee".

;D

jules
01-13-2004, 07:52 PM
Let's see a picture.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY PANIZA :hat:

paniza
01-13-2004, 08:01 PM
thaaaaaanks!

Kevin11d
01-14-2004, 01:36 AM
Hey paniza, what's the name of that lfs?

I lived in Markham and i go to school at U of T (Mississauga).
If they have nice discus, i might go there are check it out!!!

Kevin

paniza
01-14-2004, 09:55 AM
Hey Kevin,

Big Als on Mississauga.

Around Dundas and Dixie, just beside chinatown.

Yesterday they were not ready for sale yet and I'm not sure if I mentioned, they are adults.

cheers,

Carol_Roberts
01-14-2004, 11:15 AM
IF you get them be sure to keep them totally away from your other fish - preferably in a different room. Use different nets and hoses. Wash your hands with soap going between aquariums.

Wahter
01-14-2004, 04:16 PM
That Big Al's also gets in some nice arowanas from time to time. :)

That Chinatown is mostly Vietnamese shops now, but there's a nice discus shop in there too. "Aquarium Asia". 905.897.8391. (at least it was there a couple of years ago).

paniza
01-14-2004, 04:31 PM
The fish store on Chinatown is there. They have a ton of arowanas and discus.

Big Al's used to have only heckels and wilds. Now they are trying to get some different ones.

Kevin11d
01-14-2004, 06:45 PM
hey paniza, can you tell me the location & name of the fish store beside chinatown?

Personally, i don't really like the discus that big's al has, their prices are really expensive.

Kevin

paniza
01-14-2004, 08:12 PM
ok so, did you see Mr. nice color?

So, If you know where that Big Als is in mississauga, right beside(east) of it there are few stores with a huge oriental entrance. It is in there... soulth side, about the middle, just across the pond.

They have a ton of plants for sale in the front, look for some fishes stickers on the glass of the store.

Just in case, Big Als address: http://www.aquariumservices.com/store_mis.html

Cheers,

Kevin11d
01-14-2004, 08:18 PM
Thanks....... i will go check it out tomorrow!!!!

Kevin

toronto_discus
01-15-2004, 10:19 AM
Kevin: Make sure you don't mix-up the new fish from pet store to your present fish in your community tank. Set up a quarantine tank b.f. buying any new fish.
t_discus.

jules
01-15-2004, 11:40 AM
Big Al's is pricey, make sure you don't pay too much and that they are healthy and not stunted.

Joao
01-28-2004, 01:06 AM
Hi Kevin,

I was there in big al's. PLEASE don't buy discus from them, I told you that I have discus for sale, and you get good quality. I also know a few breedrs here in Toronto. Why you guys allways want to buy expensive and a risky fish , I saw the fish in big al's, and they are all sick, not good for you, you going to spend a lots of money to get those fish in good health.
You have Barbara Newell, she has tons of beautiful fish, she's a professional, as well as Jimmy.
I can give you more info.
The other store in the chinese plaza is dragon aquarium, but we sell to them , why you go there if you can get them from us. They sell much above the price, and we "breeders" not me actually , sell to them for a low price.
If you buy fish from them, make shure you don't mix w/ other fish, treat them first. I bought some in the past, and they all die, sickness... I learned the lesson

Kevin11d
01-28-2004, 01:44 PM
Joao: I will never buy discus from Big Al's or any other chinese LFS. They alway charge at such a high price. Beside, the chinese LFS imported their discus from Hong Kong or China, the water chemistry is totally different than in Canada. Imagine you got stuck in a box for more than 36 hrs, who wouldn't get sick/stress!!!

Right now, i'm still waiting for my friend to build the central filter system for me. I think i will be in demand for discus in late March.
I already met Jimmy before, he was a very nice guy and helped me out a lot.

Kevin

Roblue
01-28-2004, 04:24 PM
Hi Kevin,

The discus in the Big Al's in Mississauga are always sick, and I've seen more than a few tanks where all the discus died before they were even put on sale. As for Dragun Aquarium, that is a really, really good store....if you're looking for anything other than discus. They have a much better selection of exotic species than Big Al's. While their discus actually look active and alive, their quality is not that good.

Do you know where Market Village is? It's right next to Pacific Mall on Kennedy and Steeles. There's a little aquarium shop that is very small and crowded, but for some strange reason their blue diamonds look very decent. But your best bet really are the breeders.

Kevin11d
01-28-2004, 06:37 PM
Hi Roblue

I lived near the market village area. Most of the discus from that store are imported from Hong Kong. Their discus are not any better than the one's at big al's. Those discus won't eat anything and the owner put lots of salt on them.

Do you live near that area too?

p.s Nice to meet you!!!

Kevin

Roblue
01-28-2004, 07:18 PM
Nice to meet you too Kevin :)

I live at bayview and 7. That store in market village is very cramped, and most of their discus are of inferior quality, but the one time I visited they had two tanks of blue diamonds that stood out from the rest of their selection. I thought they were bought in from local breeders. They were a pretty penny, but by that time I had already learn not to buy from the fish store ;)

Kevin11d
01-28-2004, 08:41 PM
Roblue: I lived in Mccowan & Hwy 7. Pretty close to your house. I just started keeping discus from about 2 months now. I buy them from a local breeder.

Do you buy your fish from a local breeder?

Kevin

Roblue
01-28-2004, 11:25 PM
my first few discus are from Big Al's and Dragun. Everything I've bought since have been from breeders, like Cary. I haven't obtained any yet from breeders in GTA and southern Ontario. How about you?