PDA

View Full Version : What a addiction

01-17-2004, 02:17 PM
.....spend alot of money on discus and alot of time on "simplydiscus"...what a addiction?

How long have been a discus addict?

How many discus tanks do you have?

I have been a fish addict for 3 years and a discus addict for 3 weeks.

I have one discus tank and many sleepless nights......wake up at 2,3 in the morning to check if they are ok...
(they don't eat..they act weird....ect.)

Please share your experiences ...ur first fish tank/discus tank and the mistakes...

let me go first:

My first fish tank: Eclipse system six..(6 gallon)...i dont use it anymore....It's been collecting dust..

2nd tank: 15 gallons,,,finally broke

15 gallon...15-20 fishes...what a not very smart mistake...:)
I changed 100% of water every two weeks, cleaned the filter in tap water...i didn't know anything about amonia...biological filtration...all fish died within 2 months...

3rd tank: 10 gallon....i had it for a month and then gave it to my friend....He now has 8 tanks......2 75gallon, 1 55g...ect......he always complains me for gving him my tank 10 gallon.....my 10gallon leads him to fish addiction...now he has to spend so much time and $$ on fish......I always tell him that i am innocent... ;D

4th tank: 29 gallon... disaster happend.....the tank leaked and damaged the wood floor......I gave it to my friend. I have been thinking about moving all my tanks to the basement (cement floor) but the problem is the basement temperature is around 62 F.

5th tank: 55 gallon...used to be blood parrot tank..now it is discus tank...

6th tank: 10 gallon for quantarine and disease treatments.

7th tank: have not bought it yet...will buy it if i can't sell my parrot fish within a week.

This addiction has cost me a fortune.

Amadhunter
01-17-2004, 07:41 PM
Oh yeah, it is. I just spent my whole weekly allowance on stuff to get my old 75 gal, that has been sitting in storage for 5 years, going again. I thought my interest had faded. Up till about a year ago, I only toyed with the notion of setting up another tank. Then, I bought a Wal Mart 10 gal set up "for the kids" to experience taking care of a small community aquarium.
One evening, I was watching TV, and I heard a sickening crash, and the sound of copious amounts of water hitting the floor. My wife had accidentaly tapped the front glass with a wine bottle! I blew apart, so we saved the fish, put them in a vase, and headed to Wal Mart to get another tank. They were out of 10's, so I bought a 29. Kept it up for about 8 months, and it developed a leak, so I went and bought a 20 at Petsmart. This is now where my little marlboro red lives.
I started looking for discus sites on the www, landed here, where my interest has exploded, much like the 10 gal aquarium.
I've now spent over $200 bucks getting the 75 up and running. I bought a bunch of crap that I don't need, like ph buffer, hoses, clamps, pvc fittings, etc.
I only wish I had found this site sooner, woulda saved me a bunch of money. :)