PDA

View Full Version : compatable algae eaters

trice
01-17-2004, 03:14 PM
Hello:
I would like to find a good algae eater for my discus tank. I used to have a chinese algae eater, but it started sucking on my discus, so away he went! I have heard plecos will do the same thing. I tried some otocinclus catfish, but for some reason all 6 I bought died after a few weeks. Does anyone have any good suggestions? I'd sure appreciate it! Thanks.

stir-fry
01-17-2004, 07:18 PM
The oto's are probably your best bet, or you could also try going with some algae eating shrimp.
Oto's are a really delicate species, I find that a percentage of them usually die when I throw a new batch in the tank. However, they usually last a lot longer than a few weeks. I've had some in my tank for over a year.

And although they don't eat algae, Cory Cats are a really good vacuum.. they love to eat the leftovers that get stuck in the gravel (assuming you have gravel in your tank). This can be a great help in keeping your nitrates in check, since you'll have less wasted food.

good luck.

Wahter
01-18-2004, 03:20 AM
http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=21;action=display;threadid=15282

Abercrombie6202
01-18-2004, 08:29 PM
I personally recommend Bristlenose Pleostumus, Otoclinus, and SAE's

The normal (like $2.99 give or take a few dollars) plecos can suck on the slime that the discus build up on their sides, this can cause stress, which could lead to death and we don't want that unless your a discus Hitler!