PDA

View Full Version : Discus and VACATION!

realbetta
01-18-2004, 11:56 AM
Hi all;

Before I jump into Discuss I still have a big question, how can we have a vacation. Some suggestions I had is daily water change is needed. I wonder do I need to sacrify my vacationS for Discus (No more Hawaii?). Even if I ask someone to help, that person may not know how to take care of Discus.

With my betta they OK without food and water change for 2 weeks.

Please advise.

Carol_Roberts
01-18-2004, 12:05 PM
Adult discus can go a week or so without eating. Juveniles can't. Get your discus right after your vacation. They will be adults by next year.

korbi_doc
01-18-2004, 12:33 PM
:bounce2: :bounce2: Carol as usual is right on! Adults do fine. I've left mine for 10 days, no food or w/c. Change just before you leave, & immediately when you get home. I've also left them 2 wks with an auto feeder set for 2X/day. Some feel its better no food, no poop to muddy the waters. If you have someone available, they can drop a frozen H. bloodworm cube in once a day or every other, no water fouling or much poop from that. Juvies or babies on the other hand need frequent feed & w/c, so best have adults when you leave. Another suggestion is to add an extra HOT magnum with micron filter when you leave. Yes we do vacation, actually my vac. is horse shows usually only 4 days long, HTH, Dottie ;D

bikhu
01-18-2004, 01:24 PM
Yup... Carol is as always right on the money IME. Again though I say that having a mentor to lead through the process of preparing for vacation is really helpful. Conditions can be manipulated in such a way that the metabolism is slowed and they do fine for a week or so. My bigger problem is that since I have been keeping Discus it has been tough to convince me to take a vacation from them! Unless of course it is to an area with Discus breeders!!!!!!