PDA

View Full Version : Ammonia, and new tank....

Amadhunter
01-19-2004, 02:05 AM
I am starting up a new/used, 75, as some of you already have read here. I am trying out a fishless cycle startup. Two days ago, I filled the tank, dechlorinated, heated to 87 deg. then put an established HOB filter. I then put about 15 cc's of ammonia in the water. Right now, I am still reading ammonia at a toxic level, at or over 5 mg/l . I'm just wondering, did I add too much? Would this amount kill the established bacteria? How long should I wait till I do a major water change?
Man, this passtime is wrought with peril! ;)

Carol_Roberts
01-19-2004, 02:24 AM
Be patient. Don't add any more ammonia until you see it drop down to 1ppm.

Amadhunter
01-19-2004, 02:41 AM
Hey Carol, if, and or when, this 75 cycles. Would you suggest that I introduce my lil Marlboro red to it? He is getting prettier looking day by day in the 20 gal. His's getting thicker, and more colorful. Eating like a pig every time I drop some bloodworms, or glassworms in there. He's got a great personality too! Comes to the front of the tank when I approach, but hides from my boys, and wife. LOL! I'm the one that feeds most of the time.
Just blabbering I guess, but I bet you already noticed, I'm full of curiosity and excitement about these beautiful fish!

Carol_Roberts
01-19-2004, 03:13 AM
When the 75 is cycled you'll want to put 8 or 12 new discus in it. After 6 weeks quarantine put one or two of the new discus in with the marlboro in the 29. If everybody stays healthy then he can join the others in the 75 ;D

Amadhunter
01-19-2004, 03:30 AM
Ok, great info Carol! I was chomping at the bit wanting to introduce my lil un to the 75. Now I know it will be better to wait. Thanks a ton!!!!! :):)