PDA

View Full Version : Lights work!! :)

Amadhunter
01-19-2004, 10:15 AM
I dug out my ole Icecap ballast, 4 48" tube set up I had on my 75 about 6 years ago. It's an Icecap 660, and I had it running 4 tubes. I figured I didn't need that much for my discus tank, so I rewired the end caps for two tubes.
Amazingly, and to my utter disbelief, all the tubes were still in great shape! Still burn brightly! Now, I gotta build a new hood to house these lights. A woodworker pal of mine built the last one for me. I'm no carpenter, but can handle simple tasks.
What are your suggestions for hood plans, and what type of tubes would you run on this setup?

ronrca
01-19-2004, 12:24 PM
As for the plans on hoods, there are so many, it really comes down to personal choice (unless your looking for plans on 'how to' build).

What type of lighting? Without real plants, the lighting you choose is your personal choice. You can get lights that have a high K(Kelvin) which will give your tank a nice 'bright' look. Lower K will give you a 'warmer' appearance. As for lighting affect on the discus themselves? They dont care! Just as long as they can see you coming with supper is all they care about! ;) Dim light/high intenisty? Doesnt matter! ;)