PDA

View Full Version : Rena Filstar XP-3

ronrca
01-20-2004, 11:15 AM
I am really annoyed now with my XP-3 filter. Ive had in on my 90G for around 3 years. Im quite happy with it except for one thing! For some reason or another, the filter itself will start 'overflowing' or leaking thru the motor casing (shown in the pic as the blue which housing the motor. It leaks thru a small crack which is shown by the red line). Its not a lot but of course over time........and thats what happened yesterday. I did a wc on my 90G, started up the filter and went to bed. Yesterday afternoon my wife calls me at work. There is water all around the 90G (which is in the livingroom). I figure that there was around 10-15G that overflowed.

Well, what I want to know is why does it overflow or leak? Its not the first time its happened, just the first time I didnt notice it and so much water leaked out. Anyone else have experience and perhaps a solution? Do another filters like the eheims also have this problem? If its a design 'flaw' then Im going to get another filter!

Thanks!

Dkarc@Aol.com
01-20-2004, 12:00 PM
If the filter is 3 years old then I would suspect a bad o-ring or gasket on the lid. When that starts to go bad, you'll get slow leaks like that. You can purchase a new one from just about any LFS that carries that brand. I replace my gasket/o-ring in my filters about once everyother year or so. HTH

-Ryan

ronrca
01-20-2004, 03:34 PM
You mean thats it? LOL!

It doesnt leak all the time. It doesnt actually leak at the canister/casing joint but in the center of the casing there is a little 'crack'. You know when you disconnect the in/out tubes (quick disconnect), there is a little area around the in/out connectors. What happens when it starts leaking and I disconnect it, this area is filled with water and the air hole (I think its an airhole, you know when you disconnect the in/out tubes, there is a V hole between the inlets) is 'plugged' or covered with water. The motor casing is also full of water. What I do is empty the casing and put it back together and it works without leaking until the next I unplug/plug the filter.

Thanks ;)
I guess I should replace the gasket anyways.

Denny
01-21-2004, 07:26 PM
My guess Ron is that there is an internal seal that is leaking and needs replacing. If it is only on occation i would guess it may have something to do with the hoses being put in different positions and when they are moved to a certain position, there is enough play in there somewhere to allow water to seep by.

I have one of them and have not seen it happen but will keep an eye out. ;)

RAWesolowski
01-23-2004, 08:57 PM
Ron,

Sounds like an o-ring problem. Very common with cannister filters. Make an assumption that the o-ring in a cannister should be replaced every three years. Make it every two years if you clean it...

O-rings will crack, dry out or get pinched to create problems. Situation is compounded by the fact that the cannister is always lower than the tank creating a natural siphon problem. Be sure that your intakes to the cannister are above your heater elements and if the cannister does suck the water out of your tank that your fish will be safe.