PDA

View Full Version : discus light

rafael purcallas
01-20-2004, 09:25 PM
Hello simply people i´m rafael from Uruguay,just another discus guy,
If somebody can help me y need to know wich lights are the best to iluminate my discus tanks,to enhance the color and make the fish feel right,I notice they are scare with the lights i use now
Thanks and sorry for mi english.

M0oN
01-21-2004, 04:51 AM
It can take discus a while to adjust to lighting, as well as adjust to you and their surroundings.

If you haven't had them for a few months then give it time, but my opinion is the worst thing you can do is change the lights after they're adapting to these ones. Unless you're using a high amount of watts for your tank size.

I've tried several different daylight bulbs and I keep blue diamonds, red turks, mosaic and red spotted green. I find that a 50/50 bulb shows them off the best, half daylight and half actinic.

Hope this helps,
Jason

jn4u
01-21-2004, 04:54 AM
Close as possible to the suns spectrum. Give the fish some dark coners.

rafael purcallas
01-26-2004, 07:46 PM
Thank you very much for sharing this information about discus lights,i used violet bulbs since i recieved the fishes they are 5 months old but i noticed the amount of light is not enought,i´m affraid to make a radical change that can affect them cause they are well adjust to them but at the same time i need more lights in those tanks ¿Can i change them suddenly?

Carol_Roberts
01-26-2004, 09:01 PM
I like white bulbs. yes, just put them on . . . . the fish will get used to them pretty quickly. I leave a room light on 24/7 so it isn't such a shock going from the dark to bright lights.