PDA

View Full Version : Books for beginners?

Discus-n00b
01-20-2004, 11:03 PM
Anyone have any suggestions on books that a beginner would find very informative?

I want some resources to have when my internet fails me. 8)

Thanks.

RyanH
01-20-2004, 11:16 PM
Most of the books out there are pretty out of date. I like "Discus as a Hobby" by Jim Quarles but again, some of the info is out of date and should be disregarded.

Wahter
01-21-2004, 01:30 PM
I've posted a small review of the discus books I like on my website:

http://www.aquariumhobbyist.com/discus/books/index.html

I agree with Ryan; Quarles' "Discus As a Hobby" is a good general book (but a little dated).

"The Penang Discus" by Shaifullah Yeng is my favorite one so far - lots of very good, useful info, but the price is a bit steep.

Many of the other books are good for photos of the fish and some like "Wayne's Discus Guide Book" has sections on what to look for in fish and how to sex the fish.

HTH,

Walter

Jeff
01-21-2004, 01:41 PM
IMO most of the books are useless for beginners unless you just want to look at pics. The info is too outdated. The real source for raising and keeping discus is on the forums. After you have some experiance the Penang Discus Book is good.

jules
01-21-2004, 02:25 PM
I find Discus Fish by Thomas A Giovanetti quite informative, however he is not an advocat of daily water changes.

The Discus: An Owner's Guide To Happy Healthy Fish by Mic Hargrove- the title is enticing but that is as far as it goes. Like Jeff says - lots of nice pictures.

Discus by Degen is in depth but a little dated.

Alot of valuable info is definitely right here thanks to alot of experienced people.