PDA

View Full Version : How much bullying is too much?

Phyre
01-22-2004, 04:28 PM
Im curious what everyone lets there tank bully get away with? My one discus has been picked on enough that he has some "chew" marks on his lower fin and tail. These areas have turned whitish, although not cottony or growing, they havent gotten any smaller as of yet ( its been about a week) Also one of the top fin spikes has been damaged( also white). Should I let these heal on their own or medicate? Ive had other more aggressive cichlids before, and this was common in the tanks, although the bites and scratches seemed to heal up much faster on them. Is there reason for concern and should I think about removing the bully?

Carol_Roberts
01-22-2004, 04:56 PM
How many discus are in the tank? IF the bullying keeps up that discus may soon stop eating. You may need a divider.

Phyre
01-22-2004, 05:02 PM
Theres 5 now in a 55 GL with a few tetras and a corrie cat. Obviously too much bullying Im assuming?

DonnaMite
01-22-2004, 08:42 PM
From what I've been told with cichlids (it worked with my cannibalistic Africans, never tried it with discus though) is that if you have a real bully in the tank, try adding more fish. It kind of makes the dominant fish spread his 'tude around to other fish instead of just picking on the one. My male African was killing all the other fish til I overstocked my tank, now they're all peaceful (for Africans at least)

Just my thoughts :)

Donna

Carol_Roberts
01-22-2004, 10:40 PM
Any new discus would have to go through a 4 - 6 week quarantine before they could be added to the existing stock. I would not add more discus to your graveled tank. Try a divider or putting the bully in another tank for awhile. Most Discus outgrow this behavior.

Phyre
01-23-2004, 11:15 AM
From what I've been told with cichlids (it worked with my cannibalistic Africans, never tried it with discus though) is that if you have a real bully in the tank, try adding more fish. It kind of makes the dominant fish spread his 'tude around to other fish instead of just picking on the one. My male African was killing all the other fish til I overstocked my tank, now they're all peaceful (for Africans at least)

Just my thoughts :)

Donna

I did the same with my africans and it worked well, however I have 5 discus in the tank now as it is, pus some other tankmates ( neons, corrie cat) so the tank is as crowded as its going to get for a 55. The picture of the turk is the most beat up fish in the tank, with my africans any injuries like those would turn white-ish, but heal within a week or so, its been a week already for that discus, and it doesnt seem to be healing up as fast. Im just not sure if I should give it more time or medicate it now. ???

Phyre
01-23-2004, 11:26 AM
Any new discus would have to go through a 4 - 6 week quarantine before they could be added to the existing stock. I would not add more discus to your graveled tank. Try a divider or putting the bully in another tank for awhile. Most Discus outgrow this behavior.

5 is as high as Im going to go in that tank Carol, I dont want to crowd the discus and risk stunting them. The divider sounds like my best option in this case, seeing as how the only other tank I have is a 10 GL and Id hate to not only crowd the bully in a little tank, but risk stunting him/her either. The gravel in my tank however is only 1 stone high in depth, and its small stones ( you can see in the picture there are some small spots that are bare right down to the glass). I removed most of the gravel when I got the turks so I could keep the tank as clean as possible. When the gravel is only one stone thick its damn near as easy to clean as a BB is. Im just a big suck and like the way the gravel looks ;) Do you think I should medicate the tank to get the Discus to heal faster or just keep a close eye on it for now?

Oh and before I forget to mention it ....

1. Thank you for all the help with these fish Carol and DonnaMite

and

2. You were right Carol, in the first post I made you said you were betting Id be wanting more Discus, it took 3 whole days before I started looking around at the LFS for some more! ;D

Carol_Roberts
01-23-2004, 11:44 AM
Try the divider, extra water changes and salt for now.