PDA

View Full Version : food spitting???

first_timer
01-25-2004, 01:04 PM
hi all,
ok my four new discus have settled in nice and right, but i have a question regarding discus eating habits ???
i feed them bloodworms, brineshrimp, live dapnia(soon), spirulina flakes and beefheart. they take to the food almost right away, but when they begin "eating" they take it into their mouths and spit it back out....over and over again like its a game. i see their stomachs getting that lil' punch but when they're done the now white looking bloodworms lay on the bottom.....same with the brineshrimp.... aren't they suppose to just swallow their food whole? is it cuz their still new to my enviroment? or is that how they're suppose to eat? i'm jus a lil concerned cuz it doesn't seem as though they are getting the most out of their meal :-\
any ideas, suggestions & comments are gladly welcomed

thanks,
mark

Carol_Roberts
01-25-2004, 02:16 PM
Probably the beginnings of hex. IF you've had them 2 weeks or more buy Hex-a-mit. You will nee 400 - 500 mg per 10 galloons for 3 - 5 treatments. Raise temp to 92+ dose everyday after 50% WC (with pH stable 92 degree water) for 3-5 days. Leave temp up for a week after Tx then slowly loer a couple of degrees per day.

If you've only had the fish a few days high heat (88-90) and daily water changes + salt at 1 or 2 tablepoons per 10 gallons may do the trick.

GoodMike
01-25-2004, 03:01 PM
my discus do that with colorbits...they suck it in and spit it out in smaller pieces, then eat it again....does that mean they have hex, they are completely normal acting and they have done this since i got them....which was like 6 months ago-ish ???

Carol_Roberts
01-25-2004, 03:14 PM
No, not as long as they are swallowing the smaller bits.

first_timer
01-25-2004, 03:52 PM
but my discus are showing full stomachs after they eat and are crapping big and healthy...i don't think that they have hex :-\ its like they suck the flavor and stuff out of the food like lil' vampires and spit it out :D is that normal? all i wanted to kinda know is if that kinda behaviour is normal. i fed the discus in the lfs before i bought them and they ate well.so i don't think its sickness :-\ has anyone seen this behaviour before? is it cuz they're still small? approx 2-2.5 icnhes that is...

thanks

Carol_Roberts
01-25-2004, 06:41 PM
Sorry - I misunderstood. If they are eating and pooping it is not hex.

Keystonediscus
02-06-2004, 06:42 PM
At 2-2.5 inches larger peices of food may be a little difficult for them to swallow. I have seen the same with my smaller Discus and tetra Bits they break the bigger chunks up and then eat the smaller ones

April
02-08-2004, 03:03 AM
perhaps you should give them smaller and more frequent meals. that could help.. as they should come up and devour..and be begging for more in half an hour or so.
better not to have any on the bottom so they dont just pick constantly . but.. yes could be cause their small.or getting used to it. bloodworms are rather big for tiny little guys. could chop them a bit..

EthanCote.com
02-09-2004, 12:20 PM
I also found that discus will do that with new food. With food they have never seen or try, my discus would pick at them and spit them out. Once they get used to the taste or like the food, they will go after the food with more vigor.

Cheerio,

Chi.