PDA

View Full Version : MEAN DISCUS

s dubay
01-25-2004, 10:27 PM
I have a problem i am wondering if some experts could help with!I have 3 discus in an 80G tank of mine.I have a large orange one,a small turquois one and i recently added a large blue one.The large orange one i have will not stop harrasing the new guy i put in the tank.He is the first that i bought and i have had him about 6 months,he also chases around the other small one i have but he seems to pick on the new one all the time.The blue one i added is the best looking one of the three and i really like him!I dont know what to do.All the research i did before i bought any discus said that they are peacefull fish but this guy has a real mean streak.The other 2 blue ones seem to get along fine.Should i add another orange one or what.I dont know what to do ,but this is very stressfull on the new guy and he doesnt seem to be eating now i have to do something,i just dont know what.Any advice would be great!

Carol_Roberts
01-25-2004, 10:39 PM
Put in a divider for now.

Discus are peaceful, but are cichlids. Juveniles need to be kept in groups of 6 or more. Adding a single fish to an established tank is always asking for trouble. (especially when you don't quarantine :o you may end up with a single blue discus or no discus)

If you decide you want more discus I would suggest a 55 gallon bare bottom to grow out 6 or 8 juveniles purchased all at once. I'm guessing the 80 is a graveled show tank. Juveniles do not grow well in graveled show tanks.

s dubay
01-25-2004, 10:46 PM
Thanks for the quick reply i will purchase 4-5 more juvies and let them grow out together,I usually do alot of research on all my fish,saltwater and freshwater,but for some reason i didnt do that much with discus .All the stuff i read didnt say anywhere to purchase a small group and let them grow together!Thanks again.

Keystonediscus
02-06-2004, 06:48 PM
if its old enough and a male it may be looking for a mate too frustrated Males will get aggressive. By anymeans follow Carols Advice and get at least 3 more to add to your tank. QT first of course. but this will help mix up the pecking order a little and calm things down.

April
02-08-2004, 01:50 PM
three really is the worst amount.. you can perhaps try moving your ornaments around while hes out in a bucket for a bit.. then reintroduce him. he may think hes in a new tank. but..the big one male be a big male..and you may have introduced another male and the little one a female. not sure he wants that other guy hangin about..