PDA

View Full Version : beginner with questions

rikbar
01-26-2004, 10:54 AM
Hi, everyone. I have stepped into the world of discuss. At the present I have 5 tanks running. 150g w/ a pair of oscars, pair of dempseys, pair of dovis, spotted ralph, and a couple of bushy nose plecs. ( I know that the dovis will need bigger) they are about 5 inches right now)
a 55g salt, w/ saddled puffer, figure 8, and enginneer goby.
a 55g w/ 3 red belly piranhas
a 35 hex someday reef
then a 75 with the discuss, in the discuss tank is 3 red eye tetras, a angel, a blue phantom plec. farlawalla.
My question is that I have had the discuss alittle over a week now. They swim around normal, but I am having problems with feeding. I can't seem to get them to eat. Once in a while I see them eat. But not like they did at the pet store. Do you guys have any advice?
There are three discuss, 1 marlbro red, 1 blue cobalt, and 1 golden sunrise?
The water paramaters are as follows:
pH-7.8
alk-180
hardness-300
nitrite-0
nitrate-20
I do a water change every other day.
Thanks for the help, and sorry for the long post.

stir-fry
01-26-2004, 11:40 AM
I just got into the discus hobby as well.
When i was in the store, the lfs owner let the discus that I planned on buying. They ate the bloodworms right out of my hands, but when I got them home, they would barely eat.
It seems to be the norm as they get used to their new environment. Perhaps your lights are brighter than they are used to, or their tank mates (if you have any) are stressing them out.
Mine hardly ate for the first 3-5 days, but now they come all the way to the top of the tank as soon as I step in the room. My tank is heavily planted and as such I have a lot of intense lights on top. It is also a tall tank (24 inches) so I think they were stressed about the extra travelling distance to the top of the tank.

btw, i have also noticed that they prefer to eat the food as it hits the ground, as opposed to coming to the top like my tiger barbs used to.

rikbar
01-27-2004, 09:32 AM
Thanks stir-fry, it seems that they are doing a little better as each day goes by. Hopefully everything will be fine. I will try and be alittle more patient and go from there. Thanks again.

ronrca
01-27-2004, 10:38 AM
A tip perhaps! Dont feed them anything for a day or two. It should help them overcome their fear. You should notice a difference after. If not, observe them closely for any other sypmtons of disease. ;)